Skip to main content

On Hair Bands

The last time I went to get my hair cut, I bumped into a childhood friend who I haven't seen in a while. She moved farther to the East Bay a couple of years ago, and she has two kids to deal with, so it's understandable. Still, she was there, so we caught up a little bit.

Her kids are about 10 years old now, so they're starting to show distinct preferences in the manner that they dress themselves. For the younger girl, this isn't a problem. The mom has decent taste, so the little girl trusts her, and they can bond over it. For the older boy, though, it's been a struggle. In fact, she just flat out told me, "I don't know how to dress boys."

That made me laugh a little bit, because I've always thought guys' clothing was far simpler. I remember going years with a very simple formula, jeans + t-shirt = outfit. And while I have added a bit to my repertoire since those days, it's not like I've added entire categories to my wardrobe (there is no "accessories" section in my closet).

Mid-laugh, though, I stopped myself. I wish I could claim it was due to some new-found maturity or strength of character, but no. What *did* get me to stop was a memory of a hair band and a little girl. This little girl was one of the kids my mom takes care of, and she had managed to mess up her hair by generally being a kid. I was the nearest adult, so I was tasked with putting it back on.

My first thought was, "hm, a brush might be helpful for just brushing all of this hair back into place." My plan was to get the hair into place, and then put the hair band on top of the now neat hair. We were at the table about to have lunch, though, so such tools were not available to me. And, on second thought, there's no way a girl needs a brush every time she wants to adjust her hair band. That's just not practical, so there must be another way.

On to plan B - maybe I can just roughly brush her hair back with my hand, then continue on with the original plan. It's not like she had intricate patterns to her hair or anything, I just needed to get it all going in one direction. Should be possible to do with a hand, right? Wrong. That'll leave it just as messed up, and given enough hair, the different strands will pretty much do whatever the heck they feel like.

If you're keeping score, that's two attempts, roughly two minutes, and nothing but failure. I think the little girl was starting to question my method, too. She didn't say anything, but there was the beginning of a quizzical, "seriously, what the heck?" look on her face.

At this point, my sister, who was the second-closest adult, made a sound like an exasperated sigh. She also reached over, put the hair band roughly in front of the girl's eyes (think Cyclops or Geordi LaForge), then deftly rotated it upwards. The hair band itself completed the brushing motion, thus accomplishing the "hair all in one direction" goal I had set out for myself. To recap my sister's track record: 1 attempt, 5 seconds, and a smug look of victory.

Yeah, my mom laughed at me, too. In all honesty, this plan had never occurred to me for two reasons: 1. the initial motion seems like you'd hurt the recipient if you're not careful, and 2. I'm not a girl. All of which brings me back to my friend and her kids - I feel her pain. It's a hell of a lot harder than it looks sometimes (my mom tells me it's obvious which parent dressed their kid in the morning, for that precise reason).

Oh, and if I have kids, I'm praying for a wife who is patient with my blunders, or else nothing but sons.

Comments

  1. Clarification from a female:

    The "hair band" Sam is referring to is actually a head band, as opposed to what either sex would colloquially call a "pony tail holder."

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, that's what I thought. But for the sake of accuracy, I did a quick Google search to be sure. "Hair band" has a picture of the item I had in mind, and "headband" has pictures of what tennis & basketball players wear to soak up sweat.

    And I've always heard "pony tail holder" referred to as a "scrunchie".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...