Skip to main content

Feels Like Family

I think I've made various mentions of my CrossFit work outs on this blog, so it should be no surprise that it's my preferred form of exercise. That's not to say I don't play sports or go running every now & then. Still, when it comes to keeping myself healthy, I like doing the CrossFit thing.

It's a great way to exercise, to be sure. I think most of us have noticed very positive results as a result of working out this way. But really, what makes it even more fun is that it feels like family. There's a bunch of camaraderie & we all root for each other. I don't think I've ever seen the last person finish their workout without someone else sticking around for encouragement. There's friendly competition against each other, too; if one person uses heavier weights, you'll usually see at least 2 others up their weight, too.

The best part about it feeling like family, though, is that it also means we bicker like siblings. And THAT is flat out fun. It's never malicious, and half the time we're cracking jokes while gasping for air, but it makes things way more interesting. For example, we've had the following exchanges:
  • Lady: "Hey, any chance you can turn up the music?"
    Trainer: "Let me see. How come?"
    Lady: "The guy in front of me is making tons of noise. I don't want to hear that while I'm trying to work out."

    She had a big fat smile on her face when she said it, too. She's a trouble maker, that one.

  • Lady: "Hey Sam, you look like you're slowing down. Weights too much for you?"
    Me: "Nah, I'm just waiting for you to catch up."

    This is where my "if you've got jokes, so do I" rule comes in handy. Of course, she finished before I did, so I couldn't exactly gloat.

  • Guy: (counting reps) "There, done!"
    Me: "What? Lies! What'd you count by, 5's?"

    I don't really think he was counting funny, but he finished a lot faster than everyone else. It was a back-handed compliment, really. So I was doing good, thank you very much.

  • Trainer: "Yeah, when you do these, make sure you come all the way up"
    Guy: "Yeah, you hear that, X? Come ALL the way up on those"

    X happened to be the same lady that was complaining about the noise, so we all cracked up. Incidentally, the trainer will also call us out for stuff like that. I've had him say, "yeah, don't cheat on your sit ups like Sam used to do" out loud.

  • (This guy is jumping rope by rotating the rope twice around his body every time he jumps, and he's doing it really well)
    Me: "Pft, show off"

    Actually, that one has almost become tradition. Any time someone rips off a bunch of reps of any one exercise in a row, someone else will notice. And that's the kind-hearted way in which we compliment each other for accomplishing said feat. I might've been the first one to say it, but I'm definitely not the last.

  • Lady: "Wow, you're taking a lot of breaks."
    Me: "Yeah, well, some of us do REAL reps"

    I think I've actually said this a couple of times, but the trainer has laughed at the both of us each time. In fact, at one point, he commented that this banter was why he liked teaching our particular class so much.
Usually, this ends up coaxing a laugh out of the trainer, and the people involved. I don't know if it actually makes the work out easier or tougher as a result, but it makes it a heck of a lot more fun. And I think the regulars in that class have probably become better friends as a result.
Really, I think this serves as further proof that being a smart aleck is a good thing. There's no avoiding it, I'm going to have to do everything in my power to keep it going for the sake of all involved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...