Skip to main content

Road Trip 2010: Can I Help You?

At one point during my recent road trip, we stopped off in Sioux City, Iowa.  There wasn't anything we really wanted to see or do there, but it wasn't too far out of the way, and we figured we'd check it out.  We were more or less passing through from South Dakota to Nebraska, and we chose to go through this particular city to get there.  I suppose being hungry and wanting some lunch didn't hurt, either.

It was almost a decision we came to regret.  We didn't really know the town, so we just drove through downtown and then a nearby area to find something to eat.  We finally settled on a Mexican place.  It wasn't really a restaurant, because you didn't go inside.  It was like a really big food stall, with some benches outside.  It was pretty deserted when we got there, but we ordered some food and sat down to eat.

Now, there were a few other people around, but they weren't very chatty.  My friend doesn't exactly blend in at a Mexican restaurant, and I'm guessing the other patrons thought we talked funny, what with our West Coast accents.  No one was disrespectful or anything, but we probably got a few stares.  Well, whatever.  Nothing we could do about it.

Anyhow, we finished our meal, and then headed to the parking lot.  We had driven in on one side of the parking lot, but we noticed what looked like another exit on the far side.  There was a truck more or less pointing in that direction, so we figured it was bound to be an exit.  To be safe, though, my friend walked over to get a better look.  He's got pretty good eyesight, so he really only had to walk next to the truck and spend a few moments looking past it to verify that it was, indeed, an exit.

Well, when he got back to the car, the truck came towards us pretty quickly.  Mind you, it had to drive in reverse for a good 20-30 feet to do this.  What's more, it pulled up really close, and it was angled in such a way that we couldn't really pull out of the parking spot.  I wasn't quite sure what to think, but, "what the hell?" was probably somewhere close to the front of my thoughts.  I didn't exactly expect trouble, but I guess I wouldn't have been surprised if that's how it went down.

So, the people in the other truck roll down their window, and we rolled down ours.
Truck: "Can I help you, sir?"
Us: "Oh, no, we were just trying to see if that was an exit"
Truck: "Oh, yeah, sorry."  (truck pulls away, only moves over so there's a clear path to the exit)

Given the lead up to this, that was the last thing I expected.  Not only was the guy not looking for trouble, but he was really polite about the whole thing.  Even more surprising, he apologized for being in the way (he wasn't really), and then he made space so that we could use that exit.  It's almost like we got confronted by the nicest trouble maker ever.

My friend and I just looked at each other for a moment.  The thought, "what the hell?" was definitely at the front of my thoughts by now.  We had somewhere to be, though, so we shrugged it off and continued on our merry way.

In hindsight, I'm half hoping that was someone who would be considered a trouble maker out there.  If that's the worst of society in that state, Iowa's got it pretty good.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...