Skip to main content

Little Kids Are Awesome 3

I'm around little kids a lot, so I get to talk and play with them a lot.  And little kids act on pure emotions, so they often say and do things without regard to what other people think.  Most of the time, it's just a conversation.  Every now and again, though, I am privy to absolute hilarity.  Don't believe me?  Check out the first and second installments in this series.

My usual caveat applies here; by no means am I making fun of the toddlers (that'd be more than a tad mean).  I do think that some of the things they say are amusing, though.  And in the spirit of the blog, I do some extra typing.

So, without further ado:

  • Dad: "Hey, don't touch tia's flowers.  She works hard on getting them to grow"
    Kid: "I'm not touching them.  I'm picking them up"

    The verbal sleight of hand caused more than one (muffled) chuckle in the room.
  • (This little girl is old enough to go to school, so she usually doesn't join us.  Today, though, she is on vacation)
    Kid's Mom: "Hey sweetie.  Did you have a good day?"
    Kid: "Yup"
    Kid's Mom: "What was your favorite part?"
    Kid: "Lunch"

    Either my mom is a ridiculously good cook, or I need to work on how to make my reading more entertaining.
  • Mom: "You guys get a surprise"
    (hands out fruit)
    Girl: "No tia, I want a chocolate surprise"

    She didn't get her chocolate, but I was amused at the creativity.
  • Mom: "Snack time. [Girl], how old are you?"
    Girl: "I'm four years old"
    Mom: (counting out cookies) "One, two, three, four ... here you go.  , how about you, how old are you?"
    Boy: "FIVE!"
    Mom: "What? You're not five, but you are almost three years old."
    Boy: "No, five. I get five cookies!"

    You'd be amazed at the skills little kids suddenly display when they find it in their best interests to do so.  We didn't even know he could count to five, much less understand concepts like "bigger" or "smaller" up until this point.

    (For the curious,  his three cookies were slightly bigger, so it's not like he got cheated out of his snack)
  • (speaking to one of the children's mom)
    Mom: "Good morning"
    Kid's Mom: "Good morning, and happy birthday.  We told him it was your birthday yesterday"
    Kid: *singing* "Happy birthday tomorrow, happy birthday tomorrow"
    Kid: "Where's the cake?"

    This was a double whammy.  He didn't fully understand how time worked yet, but he was told that my mom's birthday was "tomorrow," so that's what he went with.  The cake part was awesome; you can tell what he associates with the word "birthday."
  • Mom: "It's [my brother's] birthday"
    Kid: *singing* "Happy birthday today, happy birthday today, happy birthday [brother]"
    Kid: "I want cheesecake"

    Same kid.  He figured out that whole time thing.
  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Little kids are ridiculously fun to be around sometimes.  Sure, you have to watch over them and teach them various things, but I'll gladly trade the time in exchange for the amusement they bring to the table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...