Skip to main content

Little Kids Are Awesome 6

Since the last time I noted that little kids say some really awesome things, I've seen little kids interact with the world in quite a variety of situations. The kids always have really obvious motivations, and watching them try to impose those desires on to the real world makes for quite a few laughs. Needless to say, the results have been highly amusing.

Given all of that, I present to you the latest installment of conversations I've been a party to:

  • Sister: (to an adult in line) "I've got this 25% off coupon that I won't be able to use, and it expires today. Would you like it?"
    Adult's Kid: "NOW can we get candy?"
    Adult's Kid: "You get 25% off of everything, not just the candy."
    Adult's Kid: "Look, there's some candy right there"
    Adult: "Ugh ... fine"

    Never underestimate the powers of persuasion that kids will employ in the pursuit of candy. I'm fairly certain that similar math on a test question had decent odds of stumping her.
  • Mom: "Sam finished his food first, he's the winner."
    Kid: "No, he has a drop of milk left! Sam's a loser!"

    I sure wish he would've phrased that differently. Even better, I did actually finish my meal faster than he did, even with the extra drop of milk. He called me a loser for no good reason.
  • Kid: "Look, the lizard fits in my pocket. I'm taking him home!"

    Yeah, we had to explain to him why sticking a lizard in his pocket was a poor idea. I felt worse for my mom, who was the nearest available adult. She's not a big fan of reptiles, and she had to fish the lizard out of his pocket, just so she could release said lizard in to the wild.
  • Me: "I have a doctor's appointment, I have to go. I'll see you guys later."
    Kid: "Can I come with you?"
    Me: "No, not this time."
    Kid: "Why not?"
    Me: "This is one that I have to handle on my own."
    Kid: "When I'm older, can I come with you?"

    It never ceases to amaze me just how badly little kids want to play with the big kids. It's like a hunger that can never be sated.
  • Kid: "I want to go to a hotel again. It was fun!"
    Kid's Mom: "Haha, we only went because of [my sister's] wedding."
    Kid: "When's she going to get married again?"
    Kid's Mom: "That's not how it works. Someone else has to get married."
    Kid: "When's Sam's wedding?"
    Kid's Mom: *chuckles* "I don't know, you'll have to ask him."
    Kid: "Okay, I'll have a talk with him."

    I've got a two year old kid who is very, very interested in my love life. Awesome.
  • Kid: "I want to wear my flower girl dress again. When is [my sister] getting married again?"
    Kid's Mom: "Oh, you don't marry the same person multiple times."
    Kid: "How about you? Did you get married already?"
    Kid's Mom: "Yes, I did."
    Kid: "What about Tia? Did she get married already?"
    Kid's Mom: "Yup, she already had a wedding, too."
    Kid: "Oh, I know! What about Sam?"

    Different kid, different gender, same basic premise. She had no conception of what marriage actually meant, but she just wanted to go to a wedding. Still, that now makes two little kids who are pressuring me to get hitched.

In case you're taking notes, I've had little kids call me a loser, take an interest in my health, and take a very strong interest in my love life. I'm telling you, having these kids around is flat out awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...