Skip to main content

Aiyah

I have Chinese family, which means that I grew up around Chinese customs. I know how to play mahjong, for example. Unfortunately, that didn't quite translate to the language, since I didn't practice it much growing up. I can pick out a few words in Cantonese, usually enough to know when other people are talking to or about me. I can't make out too much more than that, but I'm not completely ignorant of what people are saying around me.

And as with any language that you're trying to learn, the words that tend to come easiest are usually swear words or common refrains that get repeated often. My theory on this is that swear words are almost universally uttered with a harsh tone, so it's easier to pick them out from the rest of the language. The common refrains are precisely that: common. You hear them a lot, and eventually your ear gets used to them, so you can pick them out from conversation. Either way, it's not uncommon for people who don't speak much of any language to know those two things.

In my case, I know a few cuss words in Chinese, but the one that cracks me up is "aiyah." I have no idea how you're supposed to spell it in English, but that's how I always spell it, so that's what I'm going to stick with. Regardless, it's not a swear word, but it denotes something like frustration or "crap, that wasn't supposed to happen." There's actually a halfway decent explanation over at Urban Dictionary, but it's a bit like the English "dammit" or the Spanish "caray." Anyhow, it is one of the words that has managed to sneak its way into my vocabulary just because I've been around it for so long.

In fact, I tend to reflexively say it (I've even dropped it into previous blog posts). I've surprised a few Asian folks that didn't know me very well by uttering this after dropping something, for example. It wasn't that I knew the term or that I used it properly, it was the combination of those things with the fact that it naturally came out without me thinking or hesitating about it. This is a distinctly Asian thing to do, and people who don't know me all that well are surprised when I act like my last name implies I should.

Anyhow, I use the term in everyday life. Remember, I don't really speak Chinese all that well. However, according to the Mild Ex, that is one of the few things that I can say with perfect intonation and pronunciation. Everything else I say has an American accent to it, and it's obvious that I'm not a native speaker. With that one term, though, I apparently sound like any old Chinese person. And of all of the sayings or phrases that I could potentially have perfected, it had to have been THAT one. I couldn't have learned "hello" or "nice to meet you" perfectly. No, I had to learn the one that means "crap" or gets used to denote "well, that sucked."

Aiyah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...