Skip to main content

Ties

Generally speaking, I don't buy tons of stuff for myself. I do have some hobbies on which I'll burn some occasional disposable income (comic books, gadgets, travel, athletic endeavors), but I really do mean it when I say I spend money on these "occasionally." For the most part, I tend to stick to the basics. Heck, I've had people comment that shopping with me looks like a sprint through the mall (or store).

As I have recently discovered, though, the one quasi-exception to this is ties. I have been a working stiff for enough years at this point that I have a non-trivial number of dress shirts. And sometimes, I have to wear a tie with those dress shirts. So, I own several ties. Up until a few months ago, this wasn't really something I really noticed, much less thought about. I had a bunch of dress shirts, and a few ties to match with them. That's what you do when invitations you get start to include the words "business casual."

Then one day, I was talking to the Mild Ex about what she was going to wear to a wedding. She had picked out a dress, so I figured I'd try to wear a shirt and tie that matched. It didn't have to be perfect, but I wanted to at least make an effort. So, I found myself looking through my closet for shirts and ties that might work given what she had in mind. I obviously had a non-zero number of options, but forcing myself to look through all of them made me realize exactly what options I did have. I also figured I could use an extra tie or two, to give myself a couple more options.

So I found myself at the store looking for a new shirt, and possibly a new tie. Surprisingly, I took my time with the process. There were, frankly, a crap ton of options. I had to stop and consider if I a) already owned a shirt in that color, b) if the shirt was a decent pairing with the Mild Ex's dress, c) if the tie would match, and d) if I wanted to spend that much. It was a little bit like a mental game of Jenga, only with colors and clothing. And like most puzzles, I happened to enjoy this one (there is no better way to distract me at work than, "hey, can you figure out a way to do X?").

So, I ended up buying a new shirt and tie. However, the association was already set in my mind: tie shopping was kinda fun. So now, if I'm ever in a store where they sell ties, I will usually mosey over and peruse the selections. I don't always end up buying anything, and my tie collection has only had about three additions in the last six months. Still, I now have a bit of a hobby.

This all culminated with me deciding to wear a bow tie to a "business casual" function to which I was invited (I put "business casual" in quotes because I saw a whole lot of suits and cocktail dresses). My friend figured I had a connection to the organization that set up the shindig, so she invited me along. I agreed, and then figured since I wasn't going to see any of these folks ever again, I might as well have some fun with it. So, I pulled out the sole bow tie in my collection and spent like 15 minutes learning how to tie it. And that's what I went with to the dinner.

You should've heard the Mild Ex's giggling. She would start every single time she looked over and saw said bow tie. Though I will also say that the camera man walking around made it a point to ask us to be in a picture, because, and I quote, "you look so casual and relaxed." Score one for my tie collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...