Skip to main content

3AM Me

For the most part, my job doesn't require me to be up late at night. It's pretty rare these days that I have to be logged on to my work machine once I get home. Sure, I interact with people in other parts of the world, but for the most part, we can get it all done within the confines of our regular business hours. That said, a very coincidental set of circumstances has made me decide that I can't wait until the next time that I do have to be awake for this.

The first part of this story starts with a work snippet. I support an application that gets used at all hours of the day, and one day, we started seeing intermittent errors in the middle of the night. They just started at 3AM for no apparent reason, even though no one had changed anything (at least not that I'm aware of). The worst part was that they were intermittent errors, so it became much harder to reproduce the errors or troubleshoot what was going on.

Regardless, someone suggested I check the credentials, since that was a problem in the past. Now, this is probably not the best of suggestions, because the user name stays the same and the password stays the same. If it works some of the time, you want to look for something that doesn't stay constant throughout the whole process. Otherwise, it should work all of the time (or none of the time). So, that led to the following conversation with a buddy of mine:

Me: "About the only way that'd happen is if I logged in at 3AM to change the password. And then logged back in a couple of hours later to change it back."
Friend: "I wouldn't put it past you."
Me: "Yeah, 3AM Sam is a real jerk."
Friend: "That's what I hear."

This friend sure does like to mess with me, no? But still, I was pretty amused by the notion of logging in to work in the middle of the night just to wreak a little havoc. That's part of the reason why I remember this exchange; I could BE the chaos monkey.

Not two days later, the Mild Girlfriend was telling me about a dream she had where I was critiquing other people's form for squats. Apparently, dream Sam is also a jerk. In my defense, she said that the subconscious thought was along the lines of me emphasizing form on the CrossFit blog I help to maintain. Or maybe she was just trying to be kind about dream Sam's jerk tendencies. Either way, the timing was too perfect. Given the exchange about work, this immediately made me laugh. I'm talking about the good, hearty kind of the laugh, the kind that comes from your belly.

After I explained why this was so funny to the slightly confused Mild Girlfriend, it more or less stuck. 3AM Sam is a jerk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...