Skip to main content

Perceptive

You know how guys tend to get crap from women for not noticing details about their significant others? Um, yeah, I have a story about that very subject.

As it turns out, so does the Mild Girlfriend. Years back, she kept her hair pretty long, almost down to her waist. It wasn't like she made a big thing of styling it, but it was fairly apparent attribute to most of the people around her. Well, most people. When she chopped off a good chunk of it one day, multiple guys around her couldn't quite figure out what had changed. The way she tells it, many of them said to her, "wait ... did you change something? Something is different ..."

The women around her, on the other hand, immediately ran up to her and complimented her on her new hair cut. It wasn't even a question, they just knew. Not only that, but they noticed and they provided feedback about it. Remember, most of the guys were still back in the, "I wonder what changed?" phase.

The Mild Girlfriend thought this was hilarious, and she has mentioned that particular story on a couple of occasions. And I usually just laughed along, since it was, in fact, pretty darn funny. Notice, I said "laughed."

Recently, the Mild Girlfriend decided that she wanted to take down some of the decorations on her walls, mostly just to switch it up a bit. Even more importantly to this story, she actually told me that she was going to do this. I didn't get a play by play, but I did know that this was going to happen at some point fairly soon. However, I walked into her place and did not notice a thing. In fact, I helped cook a meal, browsed the Internet a bit, and even fought part of a Clan war without noticing that the walls were different. Yup, I pulled a, "wait ... is something different?"

It was only when she made an off-hand comment about the walls that I noticed that she had already made the change. Want to know the worst part? Two other (female) friends of hers had come over since she had finished redecorating, and they had immediately commented on the walls. I don't mean that they eventually made a comment an hour after walking in. No, I mean, darn near immediately.

Let's just say that the Mild Girlfriend laughed at me. A lot. I'm going to have to up my game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...