Skip to main content

The Mom Tour

Peruvian food and I have an interesting relationship. On the one hand, I really like a lot of it. My favorite food happens to be a Peruvian dish (ceviche), and there is a certain sense of nostalgia whenever I eat certain dishes. However, I don't really eat it all that often, and it occasionally leads to laughter at my expense.

There are reasons for this, of course. First of all, cooking Peruvian food usually requires quite a bit of prep work, so my parents got to the point where they'd cook other type of food more often. It's a simple matter of time; when you have to cook dinner every night, you naturally start to gravitate to dishes that won't take up most of the night. In fact, my mom got so much practice with cooking other types of food, that she can make a mean Chinese dinner. I also don't cook Peruvian food all that much (again, lots of prep), so it's more of a delicacy for me than anything else.

Secondly, and more importantly, I grew up with some of that food. I have a memory of how it tasted, and there's emotion tied to those smells and flavors. In short, I have an opinion on how the food is supposed to taste. Sure, I get that every chef is different and that there are slight variations on certain dishes. But that's just it: I can live with slight variations, but I don't really want drastic changes. In my mind, ceviche is supposed to be spicy. My dad, who doesn't really like spicy food, once proclaimed, "if it's not spicy, it's not ceviche" (and I nodded along). It doesn't taste right any more if you change it up that dramatically, you know?

Ultimately, this is what leads to the interesting relationship with Peruvian restaurants. I like going there for the food, but sometimes I end up thinking that it's some other animal entirely. I don't really recognize it as Peruvian food. It's a close substitute, but it doesn't taste like mom's cooking.

Funnily enough, the Mild Girlfriend has the same outlook towards Filipino food. She tends to think that a lot of the restaurants add too much seasoning to their food, so that it doesn't really taste like home cooking any more. In fact, the first time I had something at one of their family gatherings, I remarked that it wasn't like the stuff I'd had when going out before. That was a good thing.

Even more interestingly, we had dinner with a couple of other folks the other night. One of them was Indian, and the other was Taiwanese. Somehow we got to talking about ethnic food, and this "doesn't quite taste like home cooking" stance came out. The other two folks were in complete agreement, and one of them even recommended Indian food based on that stance. In fact, someone joked how the kitchen was possibly the best restaurant available. Heck, the thinking was that we'd invite ourselves over to someone's house whenever we knew home cooking was available.

That's when genius struck. If the kitchen is the best restaurant available and we all liked mom's cooking, why not intentionally try to make a day of mom's cooking? Why did we have to stop with one mom's cooking? Why not stop off at several houses? Thus, the idea was born: the mom's cooking tour. One of these days, the joke went, we'd go from house to house to sample all of the home cooking we could muster in a single day. It mattered not that the moms in question all lived something like 200 miles from each other. We were troopers, and this was a worthy cause.

So if you ever hear me say I did a lot of driving one weekend, just know that it may have been part of a mom tour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...