Skip to main content

Bloodwork 2

It just so happens that I had to have blood drawn twice in a short period of time. The first time, I was donating blood with a very interesting technician. The second time, I had to go in for my usual yearly check up. I'm sure other folks have done the same thing before: you check your cholesterol, blood sugar, and various other numbers related to your relative health. Basically, they want to actually measure how healthy you are. In order to do so, though, they have to draw blood.

This wasn't my first time having to do this, so I knew the routine. I showed up early in the morning, got my number, and waited for my turn (it's not a particularly hard routine). All in all, that whole portion of the interaction was relatively smooth. I always end up wishing that they would call my number faster, but it's not like I had an unreasonable wait. Like I said, it was a pretty reasonable, mundane wait.

The actual blood draw portion, however, was slightly less mundane. The nurse/technician/person with the needle went through the usual pleasantries and asked me for my information. Once that was done, the stabbing and blood draw commenced. Now, the people on the other side of the table know full well that this can be a disconcerting experience. I've managed to get over my dislike of watching the needle, but it's not exactly something to which I look forward. So, people often talk to you while this is going on. Basically, they're trying to distract you while also making the whole thing slightly less awkward.

That's when things started to get funny.

Technician: "So, you have any weekend plans?"
Me: "Yeah, actually. I've got a birthday party to go to." (ignore my bad grammar)
Technician: "Oh, that sounds like fun. Going anywhere fun?"
Me: "Well, he's about one year old, so probably not."
Technician: "Haha. I've never been to one of those. That should be interesting."

By this point, we'd both had a pretty good laugh, so we were feeling fairly jovial. Laughter is magical at taking the edge off, I'll say. The rest of the actual blood draw process went smoothly, and I figured I'd be on my way. However, as with donating blood, your body will be slightly weaker when you have just lost a few vials of blood. So, it's not unheard of to give you something to recover. That led to one more exchange.

Technician: "Do you want any juice or water?"
Me: "Juice would be great."
Technician: "One second, be right back"
*comes back with a little juice box*
Technician: "Here you go"
Me: "Haha, now I feel like a little kid. I haven't had a juice box since I was young."
Technician: "Haha. Well, I might be able to get you a hat for the birthday party from back there, too."

I'm not going to lie, I was very tempted. Alas, it was not to be. Though I will also say that if all blood work exchanges work out like this one (or the previous one I linked), I may start to like this whole process. It's surprisingly fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...