Skip to main content

Deceptive Diet

So, the Mild Girlfriend and I moved in together a little while back. It's been all sorts of fun, but it also means that she has more opportunity to trick me into cooking foods she likes or figure out that I really shouldn't have dessert right before bed. However, there has been one very surprising aspect of all of this.

Since we're cooking together a lot more often now, that means my diet has effectively changed. Since I'm involved in the actual preparation process, this doesn't feel particularly weird or anything. Sure, I eat more grapefruit now than I used to, but that has its own set of funny stories tied to it. All in all, I really don't mind. It works out pretty well for me.

The only thing I can really point to that has changed is that I bring lunch more often now. It's just a little bit easier to pack lunch when we're both directly in control of the food in the fridge. All it really takes is making a tiny bit more when we cook, so that some of it can be packed for my lunch. The end result is that I now have a trusty lunch bag, and I probably cooked or helped to cook the items in said lunch bag. Like I said, it just makes sense.

However, the surprising bit is that since starting on this new "diet," I have lost a surprising amount of weight. Remember, I didn't drastically change the types of food I eat, nor did I completely overhaul my culinary choices. I eat more grapefruit, but I didn't cut out an entire category of nutrients or anything like that (translation: I did not suddenly start on the Atkins diet). For example, we routinely eat burritos, and I now have a trusty sangria recipe should we have company. All of that really just means that we still have the "fun" foods.

Still, as far as my weight goes, the number has gone down. I'm not even sure I can explain it. I eat things that aren't exactly super healthy, but the number on the scale has gone down. It's not even like it's a pound or two; I wouldn't have even noticed that. No, the absolute number was enough where it caught my attention. Of course, I mentioned it to the Mild Girlfriend. She, in turn, immediately claimed credit for all of that, saying that if I stuck with her, I'd be in ridiculously good shape.

Now, I can't exactly deny that, since I have actually lost weight since we've been jointly controlling my diet. It's just that the whole thing has been incredibly surprising. I really did not expect to lose weight this way. Keeping all of that in mind, this led me to retort that the Mild Girlfriend's dietary changes amounted to "Diet by Deception." I don't understand what black magic she is weaving into the food, but whatever it is, I have been tricked into losing weight. Tricked, I tell you.

That's the only logical explanation for all of this. I haven't been working out harder than usual, so it must be related to diet. Maybe this just means that I have further dialed down the notch on my crazy appetite, but it feels a little bit like my eating habits got rewritten while I wasn't looking. It's good for me, so I'm not exactly complaining. Still, I can't help but think this is all smoke and mirrors.

Who knew? It's possible for me to get tricked into eating right. Diet by deception works, I tell you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...