Skip to main content

Miami 2017: Snacks

I had a business trip to Miami come up recently. What made this trip different from business trips of the past, however, was that the Mild Fiancée also came with me. She just so happened to have a week off from work, and the hotel was already paid for, so we figured we'd splurge a little bit for her to also enjoy the Miami sun.

The first sign that this trip was going to be different actually came before we even got on the plane: we packed snacks. I'm usually terrible about thinking ahead for meals, so I either consume a bunch of snacks on the plane or end up waiting until we touch down to get a proper meal. Not the Mild Fiancée. She spotted this potential problem coming a mile away, and made sure that we had portable food that we could easily snack on. To reiterate, she fixed a problem before I even saw it. She's kind of awesome like that.

So, we got to our gate, and bumped into a couple of coworkers. They were also attending the same conference, and they'd beaten us to the gate. Regardless, we said some hellos, and everyone was introduced. Sadly, there were no other seats for us near them, so we trudged off to find chairs of our own.

And that's when we realized that we had a bit of time before the flight would board. It was about breakfast time anyway, so we broke out our portable snacks:
Breakfast of champions

I was already pretty darn happy at this point, as the whole airport process had gone smoothly so far AND I had pizza.

It occurred to the Mild Fiancée that my two coworkers might also want some, so she walked over and offered them food. I wasn't present for this, but apparently their reaction was priceless.

Coworker: "I hope Sam knows how lucky he is. My wife usually just waves good bye."

Why, yes. Yes, I do know how lucky I am. And as it turned out, that was not the last bit of amusement from this trip. Tune in next week, same bat time, same bat channel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...