Skip to main content

Fall Down Seven Times

As with most couples, we tend to split up chores around the apartment. It's only fair that no one person has to do everything. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that we each do exactly half of every single chore. For one, there are some chores that I don't like doing, and there are some chores that the Mild Wife doesn't like doing. For another, we sometimes have time constraints that make it easier for one person to handle the task. Long story short, we each have our assigned tasks.

Most of the time, this is just how we do business. It's a fact of life, and it's fairly mundane. In one very specific instance, however, it has led to quite a bit of conversation. You see, I am in charge of our petunias. We got them a long time ago as a gift from our neighbors, roughly around the time when we moved in.

I don't even remember how we came upon that particular division of labor, but that's how it went down. Now, I don't have tons of experience with gardening, nor do I have a green thumb of any sort. Still, it's my task. So, me being me, I try to do it as well as I can. I'm not super anal about it or anything, but I usually use filtered water and I track the days on which I water the plants (a few times, I couldn't remember the last time I watered them, and things got dicey). Basically, I want to at least give myself a shot of getting it right.

This behavior has not gone unnoticed, and the Mild Wife likes to joke that the petunias are my "plant babies." Yup, I've acquired some green children in my mid-thirties.

Amazingly, the petunias have survived this whole time. From what I understand, they are supposed to be perennials, so they're supposed to bloom and grow quite a bit in the spring and summer, then die off in the fall and winter. Ours, however, are some sort of zombie plant. They have pretty much had a blooming flower throughout the entire year. I don't quite understand how that's possible, but that's what we've seen. They just refuse to die.

As much as I'd like to take credit for this, it's not me. Remember the Mild Honeymoon? Well, we were gone for a while and had no way to water the petunias during that time. I fully expected to come back to dead plants in that time. Instead, it looked roughly like this (taken a week or so after, but still):
In case you missed it, those are some green shoots sprouting up along with the actual flower
Somehow, the petunias managed to not only survive, but thrive during that time. Remember, it was winter time and they received no water unless there was some rain. This is a plant that's supposed to die off in the winter, but it somehow managed to grow during that time. Your guess is as good as mine, honestly.

All of this leads me to the blog post title. Our petunias remind me of a Dwyane Wade commercial that seems to epitomize our little plants: fall down seven times, stand up eight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...