Skip to main content

In the Blood

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I do have an appreciation for the game. I know who Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are, for example. I mean, so do millions, if not billions, of other people, but I at least follow the sport enough to know some of the major stars. Hell, I even have a favorite goal, courtesy of Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Now, as you probably know, the World Cup is happening right about now. For anyone who enjoys watching soccer, this is a big deal. For one, it only happens once every four years. You know that saying about absence making the heart grow fonder? It's like that. Imagine if the preseason was three years long. You'd be awfully curious how your team played in the "real" season, wouldn't you? Now throw in the fact that your team isn't just for your local city or even the state/county. No, it's for the entire country. There's quite a bit of pride and fandom that gets mixed in with the whole thing, with good reason.

Personally, I was especially curious this year, because Peru had qualified for the World Cup after a 36 year drought. I wanted them to do well, so I probably kept track of the scores a tad more than I would have otherwise. Hell, at one point, I was tracking the outcome of the game on a laptop because I wasn't near a television.

Sadly, the Peruvian team did not do very well this year. They were mathematically eliminated after their first two games, so I didn't have as much to root for after that. Still, the World Cup had my attention by that point, and I wasn't about to stop watching. It also gave me something to talk about with friends and coworkers, so it was kind of fun.

The funniest thing, though, came in how I described the whole thing. Inevitably, someone would be surprised that I followed soccer, and I ended up having to explain it. Given everything that I've said up to this point, it should probably come as no surprise that I boiled it all down to, "it's just in the blood. Every four years, the World Cup stirs it up in me."

Soccer is my blood, folks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...