Skip to main content

Top Gun

Given the whole pandemic thing, we've been doing the whole social distancing thing. Specifically, both the Mild Wife and I have been working remotely for several weeks now. I'm lucky that my work lends itself to that relatively easily, but that doesn't mean it's been a smooth ride.

Originally, I just used my laptop microphone and speakers in order to take calls. I figured I was mostly working from a room that was meant to act as an office, and I could close the door if I had to take a video call. It wasn't the most elegant solution, but I figured it mostly worked. There was a little bit of ambient noise from the rest of the house, but it wasn't annoying enough to cause problems. All in all, it mostly worked.

However, there came a day when I accidentally left my microphone on when I was speaking to the Mild Wife. She was telling me all about some shenanigans when she was young, and there was quite a bit of laughter from both of us. Since I was using the laptop microphone, it picked up the conversation, and some of my teammates were also regaled with the tale. It wasn't as bad as it could have been (it's not like we were talking trash about someone who was listening in), but it did embarrass me a little bit.

So, I resolved to fix this situation. Namely, I ordered a headset so I could control the audio coming in and out of my laptop. I didn't need anything fancy, just something that worked well enough to provide clear audio. Ultimately, I settled on a "gaming headset," because it was a reasonable price and it got fairly good reviews. Again, I didn't need, or want, the top of the line, I just wanted something functional.

It was, for the most part, a successful plan. I could now take my calls without fear of accidentally picking up the Mild Wife or any background noise, plus it eliminated some of the noise that others heard. There was, however, one flaw with this purchase: the Mild Wife found it hilarious that I had a headset on while working. She described my headset as "looking like [I'm] in Top Gun." In case you're unfamiliar with that movie, it's about fighter pilots, so there are a good number of camera shots where they're in the cockpit with their helmets on, speaking into one of those attached microphones. She giggled about it quite a bit when I first put it on, and she even insisted on taking a picture.

The end result has been that I can't quite take a video call without chuckling a little bit to myself. Still, I'll take the good with the bad, so it should all work out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...