Skip to main content

General Hospital in Space

I have mentioned it on a few occasions, but I watch some Star Trek every now and again. I've actually stopped to think about why I've picked that particular show to watch, and it comes down to the fact that it's episodic and that there's a little nostalgia tied up in it. That's it, really. I can watch it in small chunks if I need to, and I don't miss out on a key detail if I turn my head away for a few seconds. That makes it a good companion if I'm washing dishes or if I'm concentrating on something else.

These days, I have a bit more free time since the Mild Wife and I are staying home. So, I've been filling that free time with a bit more hobby time. Inevitably, this has led to an increase in crocheting, among other things. As you can probably guess, this has also meant an increase in Star Trek viewing. I am currently watching Voyager as I work on my latest project.

Like I said before, part of me does get a kick out of reliving some of the stories I'd only casually paid attention to in my youth. It's different watching Seven of Nine be stubborn as an adult than as a kid; I recognize more nuance and I can appreciate the character growth much more as someone who has a bit more life experience. On top of that, there are some storylines that I just plain forgot about, and it's fun to rediscover those.

As a side effect of my increased viewership, however, the Mild Wife overhears more Star Trek now than she used to. As I mentioned before, she doesn't have an objection to it, but she also has a much more objective view point. All she has to go off of is what she hears, not even what she sees. As a result, she has noted that some of the storylines are eerily similar to those in a typical soap opera. For example, when there's a love interest for one of the characters, she's like, "I know this plot! I've heard it on General Hospital.'" I also distinctly remember her saying the same thing about the episode where an alien swaps bodies with one of the crew members.

It's become a running gag, and anytime she hears a plot line that's even remotely soap opera-like, she will make sure to point it out. Apparently, I have been watching the sci-fi version of a soap opera all this time. Who knew?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...