Skip to main content

Muning

As is the case with many of these posts, I don't really remember what started the conversation. I remember the punchline and I remember the laughs along the way, but I cannot pinpoint the exact details that led to that turn in conversation. Still, bear with me, because the punchline is worth it.

So, at some point, the Mild Wife and I were commenting that in many Filipino households that have a cat, there are decent odds that the cat is named "Muning." Obviously this rule is not without exceptions, but let's just say that the Mild Wife has seen a lot of "Muning's." As best as I can tell, it's sort of a term of endearment that means "cat," but it frequently becomes the cat's actual name. I suppose the closest translation I can think of would be something like "kitty" in English, where some people just name up naming their cat "Kitty."

In fact, the Mild Wife has even shown me social media posts bemoaning the fact that some elders refuse to call a cat anything but Muning. In one specific example, someone had named their cat something decidedly unique, something like "Tyrannosaurus Rex." Despite multiple corrections, that person's parents and grandparents always referred to said cat as "Muning." There were also a lot of people commenting with some version of, "me too!" so I suspect this was not a unique phenomenon.

With that little bit of trivia out of the way, that led to the setup for this blog post: what happens if you have two cats? If you've named Cat #1 "Muning," what do you call the second one? I mean, for practical purposes, you probably don't want to call Cat #2 "Muning," as well ... do you?

Well, social media started this thought experiment to a degree, so we figured it could help solve this dilemma, as well. A quick poll later, we were giggling as we waited for the responses to roll in. As it turns out, the three top answers seemed to be:

  • Muning-ning
    Yup, you basically just add a diminutive-type ending in order to distinguish them. That, of course, prompted the question of what you would call a third cat. We don't have a good answer for that, but there was a LOT of chuckling as this follow-up question was posed.
  • Kuting
    This one seems to be a mashup of "kitten" and "muning" giving you the resulting name.
  • Clouding (pronouncing "klud-ing")
    I'm honestly not sure I understand this one, but it popped up as an answer. In the interest of being transparent, though, I will mention it here.
So, there you have it: a semi-scientific explanation for what to name a second cat in a Filipino household. I'm not going to lie, whenever all this pandemic stuff is over, I am going to be quite excited if we visit one such household. I will be sure to report back should that happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...