Skip to main content

I Speak So Well

I think someone at work may have called me retarded today. Don't believe me? I'll let you decide. Here are the facts:

A. "He speaks so well" is not a compliment
B. Someone said "good job on writing that email" to me today.

For the purposes of this exercise, I'm treating "he speaks so well" and "good job writing that email" as the same. It's the same sentiment, just applied to a different medium. Assuming that's true, the transitive property means that that person just called me retarded.

Then again, I'm competing against, "good job word-smithing that document" and "please snake this with X & Y to make sure it's vetted by the right people." Seriously? Word-smithing? Vetted? Yes, I know what those terms means. No, I'm not impressed. In fact, if you ever hear me utter those words in a non-joking manner, I give you permission to hit me upside the head.

Funnily enough, I once had to submit a writing sample for this business writing course, and I wrote what should have been called, "Why Buzzwords Suck." I've never met the guy who graded the thing, but I think I made his day. When I got it back, his review said something along the lines of, "I'm with you. Keep up the good fight!" Oh, and he let me test out of the class.

It's gotten so bad, that for certain things, we are actually supposed to have someone proof-read our emails before we send them out. Apparently we are not to be trusted sending emails all by lonesome. These are impressionable minds, and we might corrupt a mind or two if left to our own devices (well, okay, they might have a bit of a point with that last part).

Anyhow, to recap what I learned at work today: I am possibly retarded, but it's also possible I'm not the most retarded person at work. Who says work is boring?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...