Skip to main content

Rewording

I'm a big fan of speaking simply & colloquially. It's not that I don't understand the five-dollar words, it's just that I find them kind of boring. There's just more soul in slang, and it's hard, if not impossible, to replicate those sentiments with words from the SAT. Maybe it's because the fancy words are less common, so we don't make any emotional attachments to them. Or maybe it's because the fancy words are often used to describe very technical material, so they come off as dry and ... clinical.

Anyhow, I like keeping it simple. As a result, I tend to paraphrase people or describe things in unique terms, both of which often lead to amusing results. Take this little gem from a meeting I was in yesterday:

Presenter: "We're trying hard to develop a marketing strategy that will target large numbers of students. We're going to take advantage of the mailing lists that the career centers have ... "
Me (quietly): "We're going to spam people?"
Person next to me: *giggle*

Now, if I had more control over the process, I would kindly point out to that presenter that said marketing strategy has a decent chance of being ignored. But my protests fall on deaf ears on this one, so the laughter from my table-mate will have to suffice.

My all-time favorite, though, is probably from the last time I donated blood. They make you fill out all sorts of forms & then ask you all sorts of questions. Considering that it'd be a bad idea to give someone a transfusion of blood that would make them sicker, I can see why. Still, they ask you all sorts of questions, including:

Nurse: "You're not afraid of needles, are you?"
Me: "Not really, but I don't like to watch when it goes in" (I'm not the only one, okay?)
Nurse: "Don't worry, you'll be fine."
Me: "Oh, I know. I just don't like watching myself getting stabbed."
Nurse: *laughs, rolls her eyes, and shakes her head all at once*
(after getting that out of her system) "You are NOT getting stabbed."

Well, yeah, I know I'm not actually being violently assaulted with a needle, but technically, you are stabbing my skin with a needle (if you're keeping score, that's 1 for me, 0 for the nurse). I just chose to describe it using a word that conveys my distaste for said motion. And, we shared a laugh, so it all worked out.

Given that extensive & scientific sample, I think we can safely conclude that this habit of mine is good for the mood of those around me (hopefully they're not laughing at me). So, I'm going to keep being a smart ass; it's good for the world.

Comments

  1. Quite amusing, Sam :) Who was the person next to you at the recruiting presentation? I'm guessing Carolen.

    It is funny to use slang like that, although I have to admit that I use the word "steal" too much when I'm taking something, and I'm well within my rights to do so. It often seems to confuse people...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, D was sitting next to me. There were a few other things at that meeting that made me chuckle, so I kept a running commentary going.

    I use "steal" the same way, actually. Though it doesn't confuse my acquaintances nearly as much, so maybe they're just more shady than your friends. =p

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...