Skip to main content

Neighborhood Watch

We moved into our current place less than a year ago, so I don't know all of my neighbors.  It probably doesn't help that my long commute keeps me away from home for a while, but it is what it is.  Sure, I've seen a few of them every now and then, but we're hardly friends.  They're definitely in the "greet them with a head nod but no words" zone.

So, I was most definitely surprised when the next door neighbor rang the doorbell.  My mom said something about the neighbor wanting to talk, and I raised an eyebrow.  Then my mom figured that I should tag along in case she needed a second set of eyes and ears.  I'd also like to think she needed someone intimidating in case things went sour with the next door neighbor (that'd be me).  Luckily, the lady was nice, so I didn't have to bust any heads.

However, she started telling us about these suspicious dirt piles on/in our small little grass/garden patch in front of our house.  Apparently, there is some *other* neighbor that has this nasty habit of leaving dirt piles in other people's yards.  I'm not entirely sure why this is supposed to happen, but there was some mention of a cat.

She mentioned that she usually inspects both her yard and other people's yards, to keep an eye out.  What's more, she could tell that this dirt wasn't local to either of our yards, because it was a different color.  Even more impressive, she could tell that the criminals in question have recently switched tactics, and they will cover their deed with some dirt that *is* the same color.  To the untrained eye, it looks like someone shuffled some dirt around.  But this lady is on to the scam, so she sees the clues that give away the deception.  Apparently, we live next door to Nancy Drew.

Anyhow, she wanted to point out what was happening with our front yard.  She just wanted to do us the courtesy of alerting us to what's going on.  She also said she was going to file a police report, so she didn't want us to be surprised if cops showed up.

I was a little surprised by the whole thing, but I thanked her and let her go about her business.  That said, if I need to start a neighborhood watch anytime soon, she's my first recruit.  Ain't no foreign dirt invading our neighborhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...