Skip to main content

Road Trip 2010: George's Bar

At one point during the road trip, we ended up stopping in Valentine, Nebraska.  It's a fairly small town, and it doesn't really have any attractions other than the name.  Still, it happened to be on the way, and we were tired of driving that day, so that's where we stopped.

Anyhow, after dinner, we figured we'd grab a drink somewhere.  There were a couple of bars near the hotel, so we just walked over to one and headed in.  Since we were in a town we didn't know, we more or less randomly picked one - this place called George's Corner Bar.

The first thing we noticed was that it was pretty empty inside.  It happened to be a Monday night, though, so we figured that it wasn't unreasonable for the place to be a little empty.  Still, we both pulled up a stool and ordered a drink.  However, I look fairly young, so the bartender asked to see my ID, and commented, "you're a little young, aren't you, son?"  I do look young, but it's been a while since anyone actually called me "son."  Little did I know, that was just the beginning of the fun.

After analyzing my ID and grudgingly serving my drink, the guy pretty much left us alone.  It was pretty empty, other than this one alcoholic lady sitting a couple of stools down.  Anyhow, my friend and I both finished our first drink, so I figured I'd pony up for the second round.  The bartender went to go pour those drinks, so I asked my friend what the first round had cost him (the bartender was too far).  He said, "seven bucks."  I thought that meant seven bucks per drink, so I threw down $14.  Apparently, though, he had meant $7 for both drinks.  Oops.

Anyhow, we were both starting in on drink #2 when this rancher-looking dude walked in and sat on the other end of the bar.  He didn't seem to know anyone else, but he kept to himself, so I ignored him.  About halfway through the second drink (maybe fifteen minutes later?), the bartender poured us both a 3rd drink.  Since I had unwittingly given him a gigantic tip, I figured he was just repaying the favor.  I started to thank him, but he held up his hand and pointed at the dude at the end of the bar.  A random guy at a bar had just bought me a drink.  A few seconds later, my friend asked, "um, did we just unknowingly walk into the only gay bar in town?"

As it turns out, no.  We both thanked the guy with a "thanks" and a nod of the head, but he kept to himself.  I figured I'd repay the favor, but I didn't get the chance.  I hadn't even finished my second drink, when he just walked out.  Apparently my friend & I had both had the same thought, and we felt sort of bad about the whole thing.  What else could we do at that point, though?

At that point, everyone there had a decent buzz going.  So, we got to talking to the alcoholic lady.  She actually had a pretty interesting life story: started out in New York, moved cross country, lived in a bunch of places in between, and eventually ended up in the Midwest.  Of course, she more or less admitted to ditching her family and not caring about people in general, so that tempered any potential excitement.  Still, we spent a good while talking to her.  In fact, we spent enough time talking to her that at the end of the night, my friend wanted a group photo including this lady and the bartender.  Did I mention she didn't exactly have all of her teeth?

So, finally, a few hours later, we walked out.  Not at all how I expected the evening to turn out, but I remember thinking, "this is going to make one heck of a story."  (You tell me if I'm wrong)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...