Skip to main content

An Objection

Food related adventures and I are no strangers. For one, I'm not opposed to eating things like deep-fried spiders or frog ovaries, so I always have interesting culinary stories to relate. Also, and on an even more amusing note, I seem to run into people-related issues with my food. Sometimes, I have a hard time ordering food and drink, and sometimes, I make sticking with my self-imposed dietary restrictions harder.

Well, I have recently discovered a new item for that latter category.

I still try to eat vegetarian meals when I can, since it's usually a good thing all the way around. I also really dislike the idea of imposing my diet on other people, so I prefer to do so when I can order an individual entree for myself. Generally, that means that the best time to do this is when I go out to eat, since restaurants specifically let everyone order their own dish. I order my veggie meal, other people order whatever they like, and everyone has a nice meal. Kind of hard to mess that up, no?

Not for me. Since I have moved offices, I have been able to hang out with my friends who work in the new office. And amongst these friends, I have one who is an unabashed carnivore. She doesn't just like meat, she detests the idea of not eating meat. She's the kind of person who thinks that it's not a meal unless something on her plate used to be moving. If you've ever heard someone say, "that's not food, that's my food's food," then you have an idea of this person's mentality.

So, she doesn't like it if other people, myself included, eat vegetarian meals in her presence. Truth be told, it's not like she's going to stab me over broccoli, but my vegetarian plan is specifically geared towards avoiding food-related drama. I figure if I can humor the folks who want to eat meat, it's not that big a deal to humor the folks who want me to eat meat. I can also account for this fairly easily given my "two veggie meals per week" plan, since I can just swap out the veggie meal to another day (this is what is called good design, boys and girls. My plan is awesome). Besides, I like a hamburger about as much as the next person, so it's not like I have a problem eating this way.

However, there are two minor problems with this. First, she is my friend, so it's not uncommon for me to have lunch with her. I don't see her quite as often as the folks I used to have Friday lunches with, but it's often enough that there is a non-trivial effect on my diet. This ends up limiting the number of opportunities I have for vegetarian meals. If I were far stricter about my diet, I would be stressing about meeting my quota on the weeks on which I hang out with this person.

Secondly, I once made the mistake of pointing out that a restaurant had a large selection of vegetarian dishes. I'm not quite sure that the way she said the word "ugh" can completely be described in words. There was a combination of making a face, making a sound, saying the word, and expressing distaste that all sort of rolled into a two second span. She was not amused. What's worse, because I said something about it, she actually knows to look for it now. I'm not going to sneakily order "tofu" anything around her anytime soon.

All in all, it's not a huge deal. I can still eat the way I want if I want to, and it's not like I'm going to stop being friends with this person over Brussels sprouts. Still, I think it's funny that someone is going to be watching my order like a hawk. Let's just say that I get a chuckle out of the vegetarian section of the menu on those days.

Of course, me being me, I am also very tempted to suggest restaurant choices where I can ask for foods that lack meat but don't make this fact obvious. Spanakopita, anyone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...