Skip to main content

A Schedule

I don't quite remember when it happened, but sometime earlier this year, I resolved to write blog posts a little more regularly than last year. It's not like I was neglecting this blog, but I pretty much did it haphazardly last year. For example, I wrote a grand total of 2 posts in August of 2010, but I wrote 8 of them in February. At some point, I figured it couldn't hurt to even it out a little. Also, a fairly well-known programmer claims that it's going to make me awesome to stick to a schedule.

Anyhow, I've resolved to write at least one blog post per week. I can't save them up or just decide that I don't want to write that week. Nope, I am holding myself accountable for at least one post per week. Incidentally, I am granting you all permission to hit me if I don't stick to this schedule, to put more skin in the game.

Now, that's nice and all, but the point of my writing is to be amusing. I may not amuse everybody with every single post (there's no accounting for taste), but if I'm not at least getting a chuckle out of folks, I done screwed up. And it's not like I have a giant store of one-liners to sprinkle in to my writing. I'm still trying to get funnier, after all.

With that in mind, though, I'm not sure that amusing things happen to me that often. It's also somewhat out of my control, since I never go out into the world thinking, "hm, what can I do to cause a blog-worthy event?" That might get some laughs, but I'm not sure anyone would be laughing with me. Now, that's a lot of pressure to constantly come up with something. What if I have a bad couple of weeks where work gets busy or something? And vacations are bound to screw with this plan, I'm thinking.

On the flip side, I also have to make judgment calls about how funny I think the coming weeks are going to be. Say I have two mildly amusing things happen to me on a Wednesday. Do I write about both of them that week, with the full confidence that something else will present itself the following week? Or do I write about one and hedge my bets and save the other one for the next week? Decisions, decisions. I feel a little bit like an amusement broker, trying to play the market of funny things that happen to people.

Still, by far the most amusing thing to come out of all of this comes from my brother's in-laws. My brother's brother-in-law (my second brother-in-law?) was curious about this very blog, so he asked for a link. I kid you not, his very first reaction upon seeing it was, "dude, this guy needs a girl. He has WAY too much time on his hands."

Well, at least he gave me something to write about this week, no?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...