Skip to main content

Fancy

In case you haven't noticed yet, I have a bit of a smart aleck streak. It's never meant with malice, but I tend to be very whimsical and I've never had a problem with poking fun at people. My friends are no exception to this rule, so they're very used to my jokes. Given that, it's no surprise to them if I give them a gag gift for their birthdays. Mind you, it's always paired with an actual, hopefully thoughtful, gift, but they understand. If all goes well, they will laugh, too. The latest entry in the annals of gag gifts, however, had some very amusing side effects.

Before we get to the gift, though, let me describe my friend just a tad. She is very much a grounded, down-to-earth person, but she still appreciates some of the finer things in life. She's the kind of person who likes wine, has a nice collection of shoes, and appreciates elegance. We've all got our preferences, and hers just tend to run in that direction. So be it.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from poking fun just a little bit. I've been known to call her "pinkies up" or "bourgie" on occasion. It's all in good fun, so she takes it in stride and then proceeds to harass me about my being a smart aleck or my moonlighting as a business analyst. If you've been paying attention, though, you should know where this is headed. Along with her actual gift, I wanted something that would convey the "pinkies up" sentiment.

I knew roughly what I wanted, but I figured I'd scour the internet to see if I could come up with any new ideas. I actually did searches for "pinkies up" and "bourgie," but those didn't really turn up anything I liked. Looking for synonyms, I figured I'd try "fancy" and "fancy gifts," too. The former didn't really yield much, but the latter looked promising. The very first hit I got was for something called "Fancy Gifts Boutique" on my old friend Amazon. That seemed pretty promising, and it was the top-ranked result on my other friend Google, so I took a shot.

I was very, very surprised when the page loaded. I intentionally didn't link to it in that last paragraph, but it is very much Not Safe For Work (if you click on a link that says "NSFW" even after I warned you, that's on you). For those of you who may not want to click on the link, that page shows you quite a few X-rated feminine toys. How in the heck was I supposed to know that? The name seemed innocent enough, so I was expecting tea cups and monocles. Nope, not even close.

Ultimately, I was able to find something that I could give to my friend without blushing bright red (a shirt), and she laughed when I gave it to her. All in all, I consider that a successful gift. Unfortunately, now my Amazon recommendations are going to be even more screwed up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...