Skip to main content

Dumb People

No, this isn't going to be a rant about how much I get annoyed by other people doing silly things. That just doesn't come from the right place. Sure, it might be (darkly) funny in the right context, but it encourages all sorts of behavior that I'd rather not encourage. However, this is going to be a post about an off-hand comment my sister made that absolutely cracked me up. It'll take a bit to build up to the punch line, but it's a good one, trust me.

With that said, let me start with something of an unofficial motto of mine: do things the hard way. I don't mean that I have to do every last task in the absolute hardest way possible; mowing the lawn with a pair of nail clippers would be difficult, but there's no point in doing it that way. No, I mean that when I'm faced with a choice, I almost always choose the tougher road. More often than not, it's the right thing to do. I rarely want to do things that way, but that's precisely the point. If I need to have a tough conversation with a Mild Ex because it's the right thing to do, I'll grit my teeth and do it. I don't duck tough bosses or professors, I dodn't skip out on difficult courses, nor do I believe in cherry picking the easy tasks at work. It's the road less traveled, for sure, but it seems to have worked out okay so far.

Anyhow, all of this translated directly to the way I tutored my sister when she was younger. She just so happened to pick a major in college that was very similar to mine (copycat), so she often had questions about some of her course work. Me being me, I would make sure she understood why she was doing things, rather than just teaching her to memorize things by rote. I'm not going to lie, it was rough going at times, but thanks to the magic of the Internet, we slogged through it. The best way to explain it was the following exchange with a friend of hers on one random night:

Friend: "Hey, we're going out, you want to come?"
Sister: "No, I can't. My brother's helping me with my project."
Friend: "Wait, still? Didn't you start like three hours ago?"
Sister: "You don't know my brother ..."

Luckily, this approach paid dividends down the road. Not only did my sister need help less and less often as she progressed through her academic career, but she was actually able to explain what she knew to others. She did it the hard way, but she was a much better computer scientist as a result.

So, with all that backstory out of the way, you'll understand a little bit of where my sister was coming from in the following exchange:

Sister: "I hate dumb people"
Me: "Haha, what makes you say that?"
Sister: "It's all your fault. You never let me take the easy way out, so I hate that they get to."

I laughed good and hard at that comment. It was a validation, a back-handed compliment, and a lament, all rolled in to one witty line. I am apparently responsible for adding more character to this world, though that does also mean I have to be very, very careful not to say or do stupid things around my sister. I suppose I'll take my chances.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...