Skip to main content

I Could Be the Girlfriend

Remember how my friends seem to always think that waitresses are hitting on me and I think that it's all a fairly normal part of the dining experience? Apparently, the last time I wrote about it was not the last time when it would come up. Better yet, there's a new twist to the whole story worthy of quite a few laughs.

To begin with, let's add in another couple of anecdotes to the story. I met up with a friend for drinks after work, and she happened to get there first. That meant that when I got there, the waitress had to take my drink order separately. I ordered a beer, and all was well in the world. A few minutes later, the same waitress came back and asked us if we wanted to order any appetizers. According to my friend, the waitress didn't look at her, and pretty much focused on me the whole time. I didn't really notice this, but my companion insisted that this was the case. The restaurant effect was back in play again, it seemed.

Mind you, this was the same friend I had had dinner with several weeks back, and we had had the opposite experience. She told me that before I got there (in my defense, I was only about 5 minutes late both times, and I called ahead to warn her), the waiter had been by several times to ask if she needed anything to drink, or if she wanted to start with some food. I hadn't seen any of this, but I did notice that when he came by, he usually looked in her direction to ask questions. Normally I wouldn't have thought much of this, but I couldn't resist poking fun at the time. I kept telling her she should ask the waiter for things for me, since it was bound to come to our table faster that way. Trust me, the whole thing resulted in a healthy amount of laughter.

Anyhow, by this point, this friend and I had both been on the receiving end of the supposed special treatment from wait staff. And that's when my friend threw in the icing on the cake: "what the hell? I'm offended. I mean, I could be your girlfriend! Why don't they at least ask?" I spontaneously burst out laughing the first time I heard this, and the person saying this wasn't far behind. She was getting annoyed over the potential existence of a non-relationship, all while acknowledging this (side note: apparently this topic came up in Seinfeld, but I didn't watch enough of it to find the clip, and Google wasn't helpful). This resulted in an even healthier bout of laughter.

Me being me, I got curious about how a waiter or waitress was supposed to validate the existence of the relationship. My friend had a ready answer here, too. In fact, she had a whole expected scenario that played out in her head:

Waitress: "Oh, so would you and your girlfriend like anything else?"
Friend: "Oh, no no. He's not my boyfriend." *laugh*
Waitress: "Oops, my mistake. Be right back with your drinks" *smiles coquettishly at me*

Unless this happened, though, the waiters and waitresses were flying blind. What's more, to blindly flirt with either of us was to make an assumption that hinted that one wasn't good enough for the other. In her case, she chose to jokingly take offense at the perceived slight. I just kept right on laughing when she explained the rationale. I knew that she didn't take the whole thing seriously, but the explanation and the scenario were all too good to keep quiet about. What's more, a new inside joke was instantly born ("I could be the boyfriend!").

Anyhow, the whole thing has only added to the legend of the restaurant flirt (or the Dessert, if you remember the story from the post I linked at the very beginning). I've said it before, but I'm going to have to keep eating out to keep the story going. It's far too funny to call it quits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

All Good Things ...

August 8, 2009. Over twelve years ago, I started blogging with this simple post . I didn't really have a great reason for starting the blog, other than I wanted to try it out. I wanted to try writing and putting it where others could read it. I don't know, it just seemed like a new adventure to try. Along the way, there have been all sorts of posts and all sorts of life events, but through it all, I kept writing. It just became a part of what I do at some point. It wasn't a matter of whether I was going to write a blog post, it was a matter of when. The Mild Wife has described it as a "writing practice," and it was one of the reasons why I kept writing. Honestly, it's good practice, and it gives me an opportunity to hone my craft. I'm no professional author, but we all have to write stuff in our everyday lives. Why not give yourself reps to get better at it? However, I think it's time for that practice to change. My weekly anecdotes sure kept me amused...