Skip to main content

Heat of the Moment

I've probably mentioned the CrossFit workouts I do on occasion over time; it's something I've enjoyed doing for a while and something that I like to talk about. It's not all that rare for me to describe the whole thing to someone with obvious enthusiasm in my voice. Like I said, it's something I like doing.

In fact, it's something I like doing enough that I try to keep that linked blog up to date as much as possible. I'm hardly perfect, but I do try to post the work outs before the week is up, at the very least. I don't entirely remember when it became a part of my routine, but at some point, it just became one of those things that I had to get done. Sure, other people can update the blog, and they've done it before. Still, that responsibility has fallen to me often enough that I try to post the work outs when I know what they are. It's almost a matter of habit at this point.

Regardless, I know that it's hard to figure out how movements should be done based on text descriptions alone, so I usually spend a little bit more time on the exercise descriptions. I distinctly remember that years ago, someone told me that something I wrote was unclear, so she ended up doing twice as many squats as she had to for one of the work outs. I wasn't exactly putting together sloppy descriptions before that, but that comment definitely encouraged me to be much more precise about what I wrote.

Given that, I sometimes do one or two of the reps as I'm writing up the blog post. The idea is that since I'm actually doing the rep, I can give a much better explanation of how you're supposed to move your body. If it's a particularly tricky or complex exercise (I'm looking at you, Olympic lifts), then it's pretty common for me to come close to doing a full set. Again, I don't want to put someone else through undue strain or injury because I couldn't figure out the right word to use.

The really funny thing is that once I start doing a few reps, I get the urge to just do the work out. It doesn't matter if I'm tired or not; some combination of muscle memory and competitive drive make me feel like I should just keep going and do the whole work out. I've actually caught myself thinking, "oh, that's not too bad, I bet you I could do that in 20 minutes" a few times. Luckily I've yet to go through with this crazy plan, but this thought process is no fluke.

All in all, I've decided that writing those blog posts is good for me. For one, it helps me switch up my exercise so I don't have to do the exact same thing every day. Secondly, and far more importantly, just the act of writing those posts is enough to make me want to exercise. How's that for healthy motivation?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...