Skip to main content

Hugs

Once, a very long time ago, Litmus Test remarked that I gave good hugs. I remember the comment because it surprised me. It's not like I sat around practicing or anything. All I had done was given her a good-bye hug, and she made the comment unprovoked. Like I've said before, though, I'll take the compliment over an insult any day.

Anyhow, the comment was quickly forgotten over the years. Again, it's not like I sat around practicing how to give a good hug. And frankly, I wasn't sure what I had done in the first place to deserve the compliment. Recently, though, I was reminded of this long lost commentary.

A buddy of mine was having a house-warming of sorts, and I was hanging out at his house catching up with various friends. There was one person in particular who I hadn't seen in a while, so it was good to catch up with her and meeting her boyfriend. We all shared a few laughs and the good times rolled on. As is wont to happen at those gatherings, though, everyone meandered off on their own way after a while.

Eventually, that friend had to leave, so she said her good byes to everyone. When it came to my turn, I reached in for a friendly hug. You know how if you picture a big family gathering, you picture getting a huge bear hug from someone like a grandparent? It's the sort of hug that instantly makes you feel like someone cares about you, and that makes you instantly glad to see that person. That's what I was reminded of when she gave me a hug. Just to be clear, it had nothing to do with romantic feelings, she just gave a really good hug. That hug had that moment/ring of truth feeling to it.

Suddenly, that moment reminded me of the comment all those years ago. What's more, it made me realize that in all the time in between, I'd somehow strayed from that. I realized, to my dismay, that I was giving sub-par hugs all this time. My friend had showed me, by example, what a good hug meant.

I've vowed to up my game again. I need to get back to what Litmus Test once gave me credit for. I'm going to hug people with a vengeance from here on out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...