Skip to main content

Hours to Kill

I'm not exactly a rookie at weddings; I'm old enough where I've been to a wedding or two. You get the person a gift, you go to the celebrations, you (usually) wear a suit or a tux, and you have a good time celebrating with someone you care about. Sure, the details change for each and every wedding, but it's not like I suddenly have to learn a new language or stand on my head in order to go to a wedding. My point is, if you've been to a few weddings, you can fall on past experience to understand what's going on.

Several years back, my I went to a wedding for a friend that I've nicknamed "Mom." I didn't know many other people there, but remember, this was someone I called "Mom." There was no way that I wasn't going to go to this wedding. And as it turned out, one of my good friends was also knew Mom, so the two of us went to this wedding together. Anyhow, the actual ceremony was in a garden setting, so we all walked up and waited for the music to start, and for the bride and groom to make their grand entrance. The ceremony was nice, but it was probably one of the fastest ceremonies I've ever seen. Put it this way: if we'd had trouble parking, we might've missed the whole thing.

Still, that left my friend and I with some time to kill before the reception/dinner started. We had a couple of hours, and there really didn't seem like much point in going to the venue early. It's not like they were going to start serving food or drinks any faster. As it turned out, she lived nearby, so we decided to just hang out at her place. We rented a movie (RedBox is surprisingly helpful at times like that) and picked up some snacks to hold us over. Once the movie was over, we headed back over to the reception, and all was right in the world.

Fast forward a few years, and I was going to another wedding. An old high school friend of mine was going to a wedding for a different high school friend, so this was already a familiar scenario. The ceremony wasn't quite as short this time around, but even after we stopped to chat with a few folks afterward, we still had a couple of hours before the reception started. When my friend asked what we could do with that time, I instinctively replied, "you know, that's enough time to watch a movie" with a laugh in my voice. I clearly knew it was possible, and like I said, you start to draw on your experience a bit when it's not your first rodeo.

And that my friends, is the story of how I ended up in a theater watching "Despicable Me 2" while wearing a suit and tie. (For the record, I liked the movie)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...