Skip to main content

Little Kids Are Awesome 8

It's that time again, when I remind everyone that little kids are ridiculously fun to be around. Amazingly enough, this is actually the eighth installment in this "series," (if you're curious, here's the last one before this) which means that I know a bunch of funny little kids.

As always, I feel compelled to point out that I'm not actually laughing at the munchkins (I actually tend to get annoyed by people who do). I'm laughing with them, and I always take the opportunity to correct them if it's necessary. It's just hard not to be amused when one of them says something clever or unintended.

So, without further ado, I present to you the latest bout of amusement that I've seen:

  • (I am feeling sick, so I go to the fridge to get something to keep myself hydrated)
    Kid: "Sam, what's that?"
    Me: "Oh, it's juice"
    Kid: "Why are you drinking it?"
    Me: "I feel kind of sick, so I need to drink something. Would you like some?"
    Kid: "No, that's sick juice"

    In the brief time that I explained what was going on, the little kid managed to correlate that juice with illness. Maybe he thought it was medicine, but he wanted no part of it. I'll give him credit for the rational line of thought, but the flawed conclusion brought a chuckle.
  • Kid: "Tia, can I have an egg-y?" (they were hard-boiled eggs)
    Mom: "No, I'm making your lunch right now, and you'll have some with lunch."
    Kid: "Okay"
    (5 minutes pass, and the kids get their lunch. The kid pokes around at his plate)
    Kid: *in the gruffest voice he can manage* "Wait a minute! Where's my eggy?!"

    Mind you, at that age, it's impressive enough for a kid to remember what someone told him a few minutes ago. Secondly, for him to immediately rummage through his plate for it showed that he clearly hadn't forgotten. That's a smart kid, and he's hilarious to boot.
  • (the kid notices the "No trespassing" crossbones sign I jokingly put up on my door)
    Kid: "What's that?"
    Me: "It's a sign that says 'no trespassing.' Do you know what that means?"
    Kid: "Yup, it means, no scary monsters allowed"

    Well, he was close. I suspect he was just learning to sleep in his own bed right around that time, so the idea of monsters and bedrooms was probably fresh in his mind.
  • Mom: "Fai dee, fai dee" (that's Cantonese for "hurry up")
    Mom: "Do you know what that means?"
    Kid: "It means, 'don't eat the onions!'"

    I can almost picture the scenario. This kid must've been at home, poking his nose in the kitchen while someone was cooking. He grabbed some onions to eat, a parent caught him, and the parent shooed him out of the room, throwing in an admonition that he hurry out. I think we're going to have to use that phrase a few more times in a different context so he figures out exactly what it means.
  • Kid: "Sam, can we run around the house?"
    Me: "No, not right now, there's a bunch of people around, and we don't want to run into them"
    Kid: "Oh, okay. [Other kid's mom], can you move out of the way?"

    He's a problem solver, that one. I couldn't quite contain my chuckle on this one, so I had to sheepishly explain to the mom why she was being asked to move.
  • (The kids are singing)
    Kid: "I like to eat, eat, eat apples and NO bananas"
    (two days later)
    Kid: "I like to eat, eat, eat apples and ICE CREAM"

    Two guesses as to which fruit is that kid's least favorite (though to be honest, I don't know why. He used to happily eat bananas). Seeing the laugh that he got the first time, he decided to get to a little more creative. That kid is also a clever one.
  Like I said at the beginning of all of this, little kids are ridiculously fun to hang around sometimes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...