Skip to main content

Going Full Geek

I make no secret of the fact that I have geeky hobbies. I've been known to read comic books and wear associated t-shirts on occasion. I can still be goaded into a Lego competition by little kids, I keep a chess set in the office, and I have a highly developed sense of curiosity that often leads me to learn about random things like cooling a room without air conditioning. Heck, I work as a software developer during the day, so if nothing else, I've got geeky tendencies.

None of this is a problem for me, it's just a part of my personality. If others want to judge me based on that, that's their prerogative. I'll happily go on doing my thing. Of course, I purposely said that it's part of my personality. As much as I enjoy doing some of those things, I also think I should try to be a well-rounded human being. The cliche of the absent minded professor is not something I aspire to, and I think people fall into the trap of using that as a crutch. Sure, everyone has their social missteps, but you're supposed to feel embarrassed by those, and you're supposed to get better about avoiding them as time goes on. I also like playing sports and staying active, so I figure I should keep that up to be as healthy as possible. All in all, I think there's more value in cultivating different types of hobbies, rather than just the one subset.

As time passes, though, I've come to realize that it's a decidedly non-trivial part of my personality. I'm not sure I could even be a jock if I wanted to, nor could I be a bohemian free spirit. By and large, I'm a geek/nerd at heart (and for those of you who want to nitpick about the difference between "geek" and "nerd," you're missing the point). This leads to a bit of a conundrum, though: I don't want to go full geek because of, well, the previous paragraph.

Now, I fully realize that there's absolutely no reason why having geeky hobbies and being a socially adept person have to be mutually exclusive. But as a kid who grew up being one of the most obviously identifiable bookworms in the class room, it's easy to have that question in the back of your head. I also think it keeps me honest about both sides of the equation to think about it in those terms, so I don't really try to stop this train of thought. It probably doesn't hurt that I have friends who will have conversations like the following with me:

  • Me: "[Friend], this is [other friend]. I've known [other friend] forever, since we were kids.
    Friend: "Nice to meet you, sounds like you have all the dirt on Sam"
    Me: "Don't believe a word she says"
    Other Friend: "What? Like the fact that you're the biggest nerd ever?"

    Everyone was joking, but thanks a lot. You couldn't at least pretend like I used to be one of the cool kids at school?
  • Me: "Um, you know that's not right, don't you?"
    Friend: "Dammit, Autocorrect, quit correcting me"

    That is quite possibly one of the funniest nicknames I have ever been given, and she came up with it on the spot. Cracked me up.
  • Me: "I was asked today if I was secretly a math teacher"
    Friend: "Wait, you mean you're not?!!"

    This one actually happened over Facebook, but the basic premise is the same. People sure do seem to like poking fun at my geeky/nerdy tendencies.

Even with the funny exchanges with friends, though, the funniest part of all this is that I'm always reminded of a scene from Tropic Thunder when I think about it (you'll have to substitute a word, but you get the idea). Thank you, Robert Downey Jr. for keeping me in line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...