Skip to main content

Blind Spot

You know how some people always seem to have trouble with certain tasks? It's not even a matter of competence, I've seen really, really talented people fail at mundane tasks on a consistent basis. I've also seen incompetent people fail at similar tasks, too, so it really isn't a function of intelligence, education, or darn near anything you can think of. People are just good at different things.

Anyhow, for whatever reason, I've always been bad at wedding gifts. Now, if I'm going to a wedding, I care about the people so I will happily get them a gift. I want them to be happy, and I want to help them celebrate. But for whatever reason, I always forget about the gift until the last minute. I know full well that I am going to get the couple a gift, and I want to get them something nice. Still, I always seem to forget to do this in advance.I'd like to think this isn't a result of me being an idiot (though that's always up for interpretation), but at this point, it's happened often enough that I realize that it's a weakness. I've gotten a little better about it over time, but still, it's slightly problematic.

So where's the humor in all this, you ask? I was talking to a buddy at a wedding recently, and he said something along the lines of, "yeah, I only looked at the website to RSVP and buy a gift, and then I ..." That's when it hit me: I could easily get the gift at the same time as I commit to going to the wedding. It's such a simple solution that it had that ring of truth to it, and I probably had one of those looks on my face that reflected a sudden moment of realization. Put it this way: I had the sudden to urge to facepalm myself for all of the times in the past when I've screwed this up. He didn't make fun of me, but I suspect that it was more out of sheer kindness than anything else.

Still, I'll gladly trade that moment of embarrassment for my newfound knowledge. I'm going to be awesome at this whole gift-giving thing from now on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...