Skip to main content

The Chicken Neck

No matter what you do, everyone always has distinctive tastes. My siblings and I were all more or less raised the same way, and we all steadfastly try to clear our plates. That doesn't mean that we all appreciate the same dishes, though, or that we approach meals the same way. Like I said, personal taste always factors in at some point, and different human beings are bound to have different predilections for food. It's just how it goes.

Anyhow, that means that whenever we eat any kind of a bird (chicken, turkey, hen, you get the idea), everyone has their favorite part. For example, my sister has always been a fan of the drumsticks, I'm partial to the dark meat, and my mom generally prefers wings. We don't actually pick through the plate to ensure we get our favorite parts, since that's always been considered gauche at our dinner table. Still, if the nearest piece happens to line up with our preferences, we always grab it with glee and relish the food just a little bit more. It's a little bit like winning the dinner lottery.

The one exception to this has always been the little tiny piece of tail bone on a roasted chicken. It's not nearly big enough to be an entire piece of food, and it mostly just gets in the way when you're cutting up a chicken. So, the person cutting up the chicken usually chops it right off and then goes about the business of actually cutting up the chicken. However, my mom likes that little piece of meat, so we all universally chop it off and then put it on her plate. I don't quite remember how or when this became a fact of life, but it did. It's one of those things that you happen to know about your family members by virtue of having known them a really long time.

Well, to keep the story moving along, we were all seated for dinner a while back, and we had roasted chicken for dinner. I don't remember who was slicing up the chicken, but my sister made some remark along the lines of, "make sure mom gets the neck." Now, we all knew what part of the chicken's anatomy she meant, but the tail bone was most certainly not the neck. So I laughingly pointed out that most chickens don't have necks between their legs. To her credit, my sister immediately realized her mistake. To her further credit, she then carried on with jokes about how this chicken was special, and she didn't care what anyone said, that was a neck (well, "pescuezo" to use the actual Spanish word that came up).

And thus, a family gag was born. To this day, if you chop off the tailbone on the bird, there are about fifty-fifty odds that someone will call in the neck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...