Skip to main content

Japan 2014: Basashi

First off, let me define that word that you probably don't recognize. Basashi is the Japanese word for horse sashimi. Yes, you read that correctly. This post is going to be about raw horse meat being served up as food. Now, to anyone who really knows me, it should be no surprise that I was willing to entertain this as an entree. I've told the story of "come y calla" (read: "eat your food and shut up") before, and I've never quite gotten over it. I also tend to be very willing to just try things, and food is no different.

Interestingly enough, I actually knew about this because a friend of mine had consumed this before. In fact, she had decided to give the horse a try during a trip to Japan of her own. I don't quite remember what prompted this for her, but I do remember the reservations that she expressed while talking about the food. Heck, that Wikipedia article to which I linked has a whole sub-section about the taboos against treating horse as food. It doesn't take too much imagination to understand why some people wouldn't want to eat horse.

In fact, the Mild Ex said something to that effect to me when I mentioned that we were going to have basashi. I believe the words "poor horse" were involved, to give you some indication of how this conversation went down. And like I said, she was not the only one to raise an objection. Interestingly enough, the only people who said something were women (a fact that the Mild Ex also pointed out). Either guys are more willing to eat various types of meat, or they don't immediately think of ponies when they realize how to prepare basashi.

The funniest response to this, though, was from some of my co-travelers. Someone said something about not wanting to be there when it was prepared, and my travel buddy immediately replied with, "no, that's when you get the soul of the horse, and that's the best part." There was no hesitation and he nailed the deadpan delivery, so we all immediately started cracking up. This thought came up in my mind a couple more times, and I couldn't help but chuckle each time.

And that, my friends, is how I ended up consuming a horse soul when I was abroad. I thought it tasted pretty good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...