Skip to main content

Japan 2014: Okinawan

Whenever I travel, I like to make at least something of an attempt to learn the language. That's how I ended up learning the Greek alphabet oh so many years ago, even though I couldn't really speak the language. I actually got decent enough at it that I could read street signs and menus, though that didn't necessarily know that I knew what I was reading.

This latest trip to Japan was no different, so I asked the Mild Ex to lend me her Japanese text books (she'd studied some in college). She also helped teach me a few words (sumimasen is incredibly useful), though what she taught me really didn't sink in until I was in the country and people were saying these things to me. And Japanese is a language that has three distinct sets of characters, so I knew I wasn't going to learn it all in the time before my trip. I did, however, learn enough hiragana to be able to read some signs, and I knew enough to ask things like, "excuse me, where is the train (station)?" It was helpful.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I was suddenly fluent, and I did more than my fair share of staring stupidly at someone or shrugging my shoulders in confusion. That's why I found it particularly funny when our in-country friend turned to me and said, "okay, so when you guys are on your own, it's your job to handle the speaking." Actually, it was more like between me and my travel buddy, it was patently obvious that he wasn't a local, so people would hope that I knew enough Japanese to converse with them. Under normal circumstances, most people wouldn't assume I was a local, but given the company I kept, it was more like wishful thinking that I was of some sort of Japanese descent.

What's even funnier is that when we were talking about this, someone said, "well, you kind of look like someone from Okinawa." I had no idea what that meant exactly, though I suppose I could have just looked in the mirror to get some idea. Still, I found it really funny that I was somehow magically transformed into a local. This was doubly funny to me because I have had people just naturally assume that I am Filipino or Khmer, to the point where they immediately started speaking to me in their native tongue. And frankly, I didn't really think much of it because I was fairly certain that something in my speech or my mannerisms would give me away as a gaijin (foreigner).

Well, I was wrong. We walked into a random restaurant looking for dinner, and we had to chance the fact that we spoke little to no Japanese. Unfortunately, they were full, but the hostess tried to tell us something. I was trying to listen to what she was saying, but I had no clue. And that's when I looked at her; I forget if I was trying to pay closer attention or if I was trying to gesture, but either way, I caught a glimpse of her expression. My friend was standing in front of me, but she was looking directly at me. I don't think I'll ever quite forget the semi-expectant look on her face as she said something in Japanese. It wasn't like she was disappointed or anything, but she clearly was looking at me with the hope that we would be able to communicate. Suddenly, that Okinawa thing came rushing back to me. I guess I can add a new entry to the list of ethnicities for which I have been mistaken: Japanese.

As it is, we didn't have dinner there (they were full, after all), and we found somewhere else to get some grub. It all worked out in the end and I don't think we missed out on anything because of my limited Japanese, but it was pretty amusing to think of myself as Japanese. As it turns, I'm like an Asian chameleon and people will assume I'm a local in a surprising number of Asian countries. Or as a paraphrased Carlos Mencia joke once went (I can't find a good link to it anywhere), "if I'm brown and I go to Florida, I'm Cuban. If I go to New York, I'm Puerto Rican, and if I go to California, I'm Mexican!" Actually, come to think of it, I could probably do that, too ... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...