Skip to main content

Legos Again

I make no secret of the fact that I like playing with Legos. I don't break them out all that often, but I do have some lying around the house. It lets me tinker and be creative, and I just like plain like building stuff. As I mentioned in that previous post, I keep a bucket of Legos in my room.

Well, technically, I keep two buckets of Legos in my room. One is red and the other is pink. I don't quite remember getting the red bucket, but it was full of your standard pieces. It had the 2 by 2 squares, the 2 by 4 bricks, and some 1 by 2 edge pieces. It wasn't fancy, but my siblings and I had plenty of fun building planes, houses, and space ship looking things with them. Somewhere along the line, though, my parents bought a house-themed set, and that one came in the pink bucket. I'm assuming it was meant for my sister, what with the color scheme, but all of the pieces ultimately ended up mixed together. So I have an amalgamation of pieces all thrown together in these two buckets.

The problem

That's all well and good, but over the years, the lid to the red bucket was lost. That meant that I had two buckets, but only one lid. Remember, I am the same person who worries about how cleanly I tore the page from a calendar or whether I've been spelling something incorrectly for years. Suffice it to say, I worry about things being orderly, and I try to keep things organized as much as possible. The fact that I had a mismatched number of buckets and lids always bugged me a little bit. Luckily, there weren't enough pieces to fill both buckets, so I could mostly solve this problem by leaving one half full, and then stacking the other bucket on top of it. In essence, the second bucket became the "lid" for the half full bucket on the bottom.

This wasn't a perfect solution, but given what I had to work with, it did the trick. However, the eagle eyed among you may have noticed that I used the past tense in that last sentence. Yes, that was my solution. I now have a new solution. And it all started when I spotted this guy at a store:
The face of salvation
You see, that guy stores Legos. It's got a pretty hefty size, too, so I could fit quite a few Legos in there. In short, I could replace the half-filled bucket without a lid with a brand new container. The fact that he made me chuckle a little bit didn't hurt, either. So, I immediately set about putting him to use. In fact, I got home at 11 one night, and immediately started transferring Legos so that I could take advantage of my new toy storage unit.

What I hadn't realized, though, was that this particular storage unit was also supposed to help sort your Legos. Well, hell, this I had to see. Inside the container, there are several sieves of different sizes. The idea is that you throw a bunch of pieces in the top, and shake the whole container a little bit. The smaller pieces fall through the holes, and the larger pieces stay on top. If you do this with a couple of layers, you can more or less sort your pieces with nothing more than gravity.
Sieves in action
Well, me being me, I had to try this out. It seemed like a clever solution, and I like clever solutions. So, at some point near midnight, I was sitting in my living room, shaking a container full of Legos. The system more or less worked, though I realized that a lot of the pieces I had were clogging up the holes. Once I removed some of them, I got some better results. It wasn't perfect, but it helped.

So not only do I have a new storage system now, but I have one that helps keep similar pieces together. You have no idea how useful this can be. Easily a third of my time playing with Legos has been spent looking for a particular piece. And it always seems like you can never find that piece when you need it. But with this, I have a fighting chance to cut that number down. This is exciting stuff.

With all that said, allow me to present to you my brand new Lego storage system.
He's not he only one smiling about this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...