Skip to main content

Parking Time

Since I get to work pretty early, I don't generally have to worry about finding a parking spot. It's pretty easy to park wherever you want when there aren't too many folks around. I actually tend to park far away since that forces me to walk a little bit farther, but that's not the point of this post. The point is that parking is highly dependent on what time you arrive. I suppose that isn't really a surprise, but this has some pretty interesting implications.

First of all, this all happens because the parking lot closest to the building is only so big. So if you're amongst the early crowd, you can park in that lot. Mind you, "early" doesn't necessarily mean the crack of dawn. You can still find spots there if you show up around 8 or 9AM. However, there is a bit of a linear progression between what time you show up and how many spots are available; you can't show up late and expect to park there.

The flip side of this, however, is far more interesting. You can tell roughly what time someone arrived based on where they parked. Sure, there are the occasional oddballs who throw this off (like me, for example). But for the most part, you can tell whether someone showed up to work at 7AM or 8AM based on where they parked. In fact, I've made a rough mental model of this, so that in my mind, there are "6:30 spots" and "8AM spots."

This is even more interesting if you know who drives the car. I've got some friends who work in the same building as I do, and I know what kind of cars they drive. So, I usually know when my friends are late to work. It's not like I go out there to check on people, but if I walk by their car and it's parked a lot farther away then usual, I know they were late that morning.

Now some of you might be thinking that this plan gets foiled by people leaving in the middle of the day for lunch. That leads me to my next point: there is also a time hierarchy for lunch. It's the same basic principle, only it works backwards. Around noon or so, it's next to impossible to find a spot in that lot. Some people don't leave the office for lunch, so parking spots are at even more of a premium.

However, people who show up really early in the day also leave really early in the day. And incidentally, the people who show up really early tend to park really close to the building. So, if you take a late lunch, there are very good odds that you will find a parking spot close to the building. The later the lunch, the more likely you will find a good spot. Again, there are exceptions to the rule, but as a broad generality, it seems to describe the world fairly well.

Of course, people are creatures of habit. So most everyone takes lunch at more or less the same time every day. Again, this is a generalization, but assume for the moment that people usually take lunch at the same time every day. So, let's connect some dots. The car parked in the early spot in the afternoon most likely got back to the office late. If we assume that the person left for lunch at their usual time, that must mean that the person took a long lunch. You can basically see who was less productive that day based on the parking alone.

My favorite is when I see someone in one of the late spots in the morning, and then parked really close to the building in the afternoon. There might be a very rational, responsible reason for this behavior, but I like to imagine that it's someone having a much more interesting day than me. I usually chuckle just a bit, since I feel like I'm in on an inside joke.

See? Parking spots can be fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...