Skip to main content

Poser Lot

I have some adventures when it comes to driving and parking. Hell, I even have some fun with the car radio. It's still a little surprising to me how many stories I end up having as a result of these two activities, but the blog posts don't lie. There are amusing stories to be had as a result of my car. Well, as it turns out, there's one more to add to the list.

In order for this to make sense, though, I'm going to have give you some background information. First of all, I work in a office complex that houses several companies. So there are lots of people walking around, but I don't work with all of them. For the most part, this isn't a big deal. Everyone is civilized to each other, and it's not like there are company-affiliated gang battles raging across the parking lot. We just nod and say hello.

Secondly, I have always intentionally parked fairly far from the office. I figure it doesn't hurt to get a little bit of extra exercise, and I don't mind walking. Yes, I know that this is entirely foreign to some people (I get some pretty interesting reactions from people when I explain this), but it works for me. Regardless, I used to park in some of the farthest spots I could find, but I unthinkingly did this in the lot closest to the office. One morning, though, it occurred to me that the other parking lots held parking spots that were even further than my usual parking spots. Well, hell. I was sort of defeating the purpose of my "park far" strategy, so I resolved to fix this.

The very next day, I started parking in the farthest lot. I didn't really think much of it, since I just figured I was parking farther away. However, the building closest to that parking lot happens to house a different company than mine. To make it even more apparent that I don't work there, their building has a security badge system that forces me to walk around their building. As soon as I start walking around the building, instead of into or through it, it is very apparent that I do not work there.

By the time the afternoon rolled around, I noticed a few quizzical looks from people in that building when I walked to my car. First and foremost, they didn't recognize me, so I already had that "stranger" look. But I was also walking around the side of the building, so people could see me coming. They knew I wasn't exiting their building. Worse yet, I was walking to one of the spots furthest from the building. On the occasions where I was walking in relatively close proximity to one of these people, they'd usually veer off to their car before I did. So now it looked like the random stranger was following them in the parking lot. This made for even more odd looks from people.

Long story short, I feel like a poser walking through that parking lot. It's not a big enough deal for me to avoid getting my exercise, but it has led to at least one sideways glance. I lead a hard life, I tell you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...