Skip to main content

From Scratch 2

A few months ago, I tried my hand at making home-made dumplings. It came out all right, and it was definitely passable for a first attempt, but we always said that we should have another go at it. After all, if we liked it all right when we made it with no first-hand experience, it should come out even better after having at least one rep under our belt, right?

We found out this weekend.

First of all, the Mild Wife helped with the dough preparation this time around. I knew to be wary of making the dough too sticky this time around, but because she has more experience with baking, she was able to guide us through the pitfalls. What really surprised me was just how little water you can/should add at a time. We're talking about a tablespoon at a time when you're trying to make a ball of dough. I mean, I knew not to overwater it from previous experience, but it still surprised me to add in that little water at a time.

Still, there was a method to this (including the trusty sanduk), and the dough came out really well. It was pliable, but more importantly, it was far less sticky than the one that I had made the first time around. All in all, it was a clear improvement to the first one.

Now, we had shrimp on hand this time around, and we had decided that we were going to make wontons instead of dumpling, but a lot of the same basic principles still applied. In fact, we used the same starter recipe as a basis for our filling. It obviously wasn't identical to what they suggested, but I had enough of an idea of how I wanted it to taste that I could freestyle the filling.

So, after carefully rolling out the dough into wrappers, filling them, and folding them, we were able to finally cook them in our broth to get that nice wonton flavor. I say "finally" only because there were a few steps, but it was a surprisingly quick process. I'm guessing it took about an hour of prep time including making the dough and chopping the ingredients, so it really didn't seem that bad.

The finished product came out pretty well (if I do say so myself), though we have ideas about how to wrap the wontons for next time. The best part, though, was that we had extra filling left over, so we were able to make shrimp balls and have those for a different meal. All in all, it seemed like a marked improvement over the first attempt, and a meal that we're definitely going to have to make again.

My favorite part, though, was when everything was done, we sat down and got to enjoy the fruits of our labors. It may not have been funny, but it certainly brought a level of appreciation and amusement to the meal. I mean, looking at the bowl the second time, I could definitely tell that this was not the same meal that I had made the first time. I'd like to think that a wry chuckle escaped from me at some point or another, though that might very well be hindsight.

In either case, we're definitely going to make that again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...