Skip to main content

My Voice 2

I wrote once before that I have a very distinct way of expressing myself. I have a unique "voice," if you will. The first time I wrote about this, I noted that I have a way of doing this both on paper (or the electronic version, but you know what I mean) and out loud when actually using my vocal cords. Well, as it turns out, there are other people who think the same thing.

I'll start with the math class I teach as a volunteer. I think it's a pretty worthwhile program, so I've been volunteering some time there for a couple of years. Now, the experience means that I have a pretty good handle on how to teach that class (or at least I think I do). There's a certain pacing to it, and certain phrases or ways of explaining things seem to make sense to people. The fun part, though, is that with that experience comes familiarity. The staff there knows me, and I feel a bit more comfortable in teaching that class. That means I can be a smart aleck.

Specifically, I have a rule: if you've got jokes, so do I. I ask a lot of questions in that class (I believe in the Socratic method), so it's intentionally very interactive. I expect people to talk and to provide commentary. That means that as people become more comfortable with me, some interesting comments start to arise. Sometimes, someone will just straight up guess at the answer. That's when something like this happens:

Student: "Um ... 1/5th?"
Me: "What makes you say that?"
Student: "Yeah, I just guessed."
Me: "In that case, I guess 1/113th. Two can play that game."

That's always followed by a smile, a laugh, and a discussion of how to actually solve the problem. It keeps things light, but it also helps encourage the students to think things through a bit. I've had lots of them laugh after this and then figure out how to actually work through the problem. Often times, it's just a matter of talking it through.

The other fun one that I throw out a lot looks like this:

Me: "So here's the second way to do this. Which way do you like better?"
(the students all pick one)
Me: "Okay, so I'm not gonna lie, I like this way. There's fewer steps, and I'm lazy. I'm not trying to do more work than I have to."

Oddly enough, that usually leads to more than a few laughs. Weird.

Regardless, that's how things go in my class. We all usually end up learning something, and people tend to have a little bit of fun while we're at it. That was the part that amazed me the most: I've had people tell me that the math class was actually fun. I'm going to have to keep using this voice of mine. I might need help from one of them as a CPA or something ten years from now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...