Skip to main content

Ninja Skills

So, I was home alone one day. This was not a particularly special day, it was just another weekend. It's not like we're talking about Christmas or a new member of the family or something. No, it was just another weekend, like any other. The only real difference on this particular day was that I was by myself in the house.

Now, I had to do chores around the house. The first thing I was focusing on was laundry, so I threw a load into the wash. Everything was going well, and I was multi-tasking so that I could do some writing while I waited for the laundry to finish. Of course, washing the clothes is only the first half of the chore, so I had to throw that load of laundry into the dryer. I also had a second load of laundry to do, so I decided to multi-task. I threw the second load of laundry into the washer, and moved the first load into the dryer.

Yes, I know that everyone does this. It's more or less standard practice. But you can't help but feel a little bit productive when you pull off this little trick. You just saved yourself a little bit of time, after all. So, emboldened by my modicum of success, I decided to head outside to the back yard. There were plants back there to water, after all.

So, I opened the door to the backyard, and headed back there to water the plants. Two seconds later, I realized that I needed something from inside the house. I turned around, grabbed the door handle, and turned the knob. As if by magic, the door knob wouldn't turn. Somehow, the door was locked. I am 1000% positive that I did not lock the door behind me (why the heck would I do that?), but somehow, it was locked. Remember, I had opened that very door to get outside. So at some point, it must've been unlocked. Then, two seconds later, that door was locked.

As mystifying as those facts were, I still had a very tactical problem: I was outdoors, on the wrong side of a locked door. I have a habit of keeping keys in my pocket, just in case. However, I'm fairly certain that nobody keeps the key to their back door on a key ring. Still, hoping against hope, I tried the keys on my ring. And no such luck.

Well, that was a bummer. Remember, I was still home alone. I didn't expect anyone home for pretty much forever, so I was on my own to solve this problem. Either that, or I'd have to call a locksmith or something. That seemed like a real hassle, so I decided to try to solve this problem on my own first.

And that's when I noticed the pole. It was a load-bearing structure, so it was connected to the second story balcony. The same second story balcony that frequently has an unlocked door to the house. I looked around, weighed my options, and then decided to try my American Ninja Warrior skills. I had to shimmy up the pole, do a pull up to get myself above the floor of the balcony, get my feet on a ledge, and then hop over the railing. Did I mention that I hadn't worked out in a while?

Adrenaline is a funny thing. When your back is up against the wall, you can surprise yourself. Apparently I had enough adrenaline coursing through me to get me up there. Luckily for me, the door to the house was unlocked. How much would it have sucked if I did all that and then the door was locked?

Of course, I had to wade through some chairs and some other items stacked up near that door. By that point, though, I would've happily bull rushed through all of those items. Still, I couldn't help but laugh at myself. I joke about being a ninja all the time, but this time I had to put my money where my mouth was. Apparently, I have just enough ninja skills to break into my own house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

An Excursion: Getting Home

So, in the ongoing saga that I have been writing about the last few weeks, a perfect storm of random occurrences led me to taking a trip to the office. Once there, I went about my day, but leaving led me to wander through a mine field of geese and goose droppings . Incidentally, I also happened to mention this to my coworkers, and one of them introduced me to the nickname that Canadian geese sometimes go by: the " cobra chicken ." All in all, that one day led to much hilarity. Still, at this point in our tale, I wasn't home yet. The Mild Wife was out and about that day, so we had agreed to carpool. I was going to hop on the bus, and she would pick me up from a BART station. We've actually done this a bunch, and it had become my go-to means of transportation before the pandemic started. It saved me from having to deal with rush hour traffic, so I was actually a big fan of this process. I expected far less traffic on this day, but even so, it was a sound plan so that...