Skip to main content

Baby Juice

One of the more interesting things that I've noticed as I've gotten older is that parents control what their children eat. For example, most parents try to limit the amount of sugar that their kids consume. Sugar tends to make kids really hyper, so it's just best for everyone involved if they don't eat enough of it that they start bouncing off the walls.

In that spirit, one of the tricks that I've often seen employed is to water down juice. Some of the juice that you buy is just teeming with sugar. I occasionally check the nutritional information for these things, and I was surprised by just how many grams of sugar there are in a serving. It's not quite bouncing-off-the-walls high, but it's high enough that I did a double-take the first time I noticed it.

I don't have any recollection of this happening to us as kids, but it's entirely possible that my folks were just really good about hiding their tracks. Or that I was entirely oblivious to the whole process. Either way, I remember being surprised when I saw the watering down for the first time. Notably, it's usually done for really young kids (the ones that I call "munchkins"), so I've come to dub it "baby juice."

However, there are other situations when it make sense to consume Baby Juice. Pretend for a moment that you are a fully-grown adult who is fighting off a cold. The vitamin C in orange juice tends to do you good, so it's a good idea to drink the juice. You should also drink plenty of liquids, so water is high on your priority list. Sugar, however, is less important. It really doesn't do you much good in that scenario. Taking all of those facts together, Baby Juice is a convenient way to make sure you maximize your vitamin consumption, increase your liquid intake, and minimize your sugar intake.

I know all of this because I was that hypothetical adult. The Mild Fiancée fed me Baby Juice when I was feeling sick, and I was cracking up the whole time. I may or may not have also complained about it once or twice. Talk about a new twist on "sick juice."

Still, the funniest part of this whole thing came when I was mostly recovered from a different cold (it's been a rough season in terms of illness). We had made brunch for the both of us, and the Mild Fiancée decided to make herself a mimosa. I, however, could not have one, since I was technically recovering. She insisted I needed juice and water. Well, I managed to talk her into putting some liquor in my Baby Juice, so I ended up with something resembling a Whiskey Sour or a Hot Toddy.

Baby Juice, indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...