Skip to main content

The Sensuous Life

The Mild Fiancée and I are not rich. We don't have a huge place, we drive older cars, and we don't take fancy vacations. Sure, we go out to eat every so often, but it's not like we're going to lavish steak dinners every night. Basically, we get by with what we have. We add a few little flourishes here and there, but we are by no means living a luxurious life style.

I say all of that so that you have the proper context for the part that comes next. You see, we also like to add small little touches here and there. For example, we'll light a candle at dinner. That's not the sort of thing that takes tons of money or effort, but it does make the meal a little bit nicer. Sometimes we buy a bottle of wine, or mix drinks on the weekends. Again, you'd be surprised at how cheaply you can do this: we've bought five or six dollar bottles of wine and enjoyed them just fine.

Now, I'll give the Mild Fiancée full credit here; she's the one who's good at coming up with cost-effective ways to do all of these things. I appreciate all of these things, but she's just better at finding those little touches that add a dash of pinkies up to our lives.

As it so happens, though, all of this came up in conversation when we were out to lunch with some friends. I don't quite remember how we got there, but one of our friends dubbed those little touches the "sensuous life." Well, since this is the age of social media, she actually dubbed it a hashtag. #SensuousLife. It was amusing as all heck, so it immediately stuck.

The best part, though, was that the Mild Fiancée and I decided to have an old school, elementary school dinner one night. To give you some idea of what that looks like, the main entrees were tater tots and chicken nuggets. Sure, we threw in some mixed veggies to make the meal a little more balanced, but we basically ate like third graders for a night. We were ridiculously amused, so there may have been some giggling involved.

However, we also threw in a glass of wine, and we upgraded the chicken nuggets to dino nuggets. I don't know why, but I swear to you that dino nuggets taste better than plain old chicken nuggets. Maybe it's just nostalgia or maybe I did actually have some dino nuggets that tasted really good. Either way, I think dino nuggets are superior to the original chicken nuggets.

We even emailed the friend who had come up with the hash tag to show them the fruits of our labor. Her response was what actually prompted this blog post: "oh man ... so classy! Dino-nuggets + wine = the ultimate in sensuous living." Yup, dino nuggets are a taste of the sensuous life. Who knew?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...