Skip to main content

Pichon

I was never really allowed to be picky about food when growing up, so I learned to eat all sorts of things. My parents still made our favorite dishes, but they also allowed no room for whining about what was on the dinner table. Whether we liked it or not, we would eat what was served. It's a habit that has come in handy surprisingly often over the years, but it also leads to a surprising amount of hilarity.

In this case, it's relevant that my brother-in-law and sister-in-law aren't quite so willing to eat other foods. In fact, it's become something of a running gag for us. In both Peruvian and Chinese cooking, you will occasionally be served something that I grew up calling "pichon." The English term for this, as I've discovered, is squab. However, neither of them is particularly fond of that food item, so they usually avoid the squab if it is served. We have all noticed this, so we frequently joke about having pichon for dinner if we want to needle them just a tad (everyone's got jokes in my family).

Now, as the first link pointed out, the Mild Fiancée eats more or less like I do. Basically, she'll eat darn near anything. Not surprisingly, she and I will have some fairly adventurous meals. She has a preferred tripe dish, for example. So, when we decided to try out a few Chinese restaurants (to see if their food was good enough for a wedding banquet), we decided to try a few of the more interesting items.

At one particular restaurant, they had a set menu that included squab. Well, hell. We wanted to try their set menu anyway, so why not give it a go? As it turned out, it was the best squab I have ever eaten in my life. It wasn't just me, either; the Mild Fiancée also really enjoyed that dish. They did a really good job of seasoning the food, because it had a really good flavor. What's more, the chef cooked it well, so the meat wasn't super tough or dry. It almost tasted like duck. That's how good a job they did with it: they made it taste like another bird that is notoriously fatty.

The rest of the meal was also flavorful, but at the end of the day, we mostly remembered that squab. That's the dish that will keep us coming back. You know how people have a favorite place to get pizza or burgers? Well, we have a squab spot. Of course, given all of the gags about squab and my in-laws, the Mild Fiancée both walked out of there laughing our heads off. We're going to have to invite them out for the best squab of their lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...