Skip to main content

Timing

Every now and then, I attend a conference for work. For the most part, the point of attending these conferences is that I'm supposed to learn some stuff and meet some people. The proportion of those two things changes a bit depending on the conference, but that's the basic formula. Of course, there's also some amusing anecdotes thrown in every now and then. This is a tale of that last part.

Recently, I had to attend a fairly large conference. I was warned in advance that there would be lots of people there, to the point where you had to go in with a plan lest you get sidetracked. I did my homework, so I mostly knew where to go and how to navigate the crowds. The one item that I left somewhat unsettled, however, was a meeting with a vendor we work with. We agreed on a time and a general area, but left it at that.

Me being me, I arrived early to make sure I didn't miss the guy or keep him waiting. When I got there, though, I quickly realized that I was not going to be able to pick him out. First off, I didn't know what he looked like. Secondly, and more importantly, there were far too many people to scan the crowd. I had hoped that I might find the one person who looked like he was waiting on someone else, but I had no such luck.

Luckily, I had the guy's phone number, so I sent him a quick text message. It basically said, "hey, I'm here, standing by [some landmark]. I'm wearing a light blue shirt." I threw in that last part in the hopes of simplifying things. After all, he didn't know what I looked like, either. So I figured if I gave him something to work with, it'd help speed up the search.

Want to guess who also walked up ten seconds later? Another guy in a light blue shirt. What are the odds? Right after I sent that text message, this guy strolls up. He must've been standing something like five feet from me. I don't quite know what he was up to, but it's not like I could tell him to move. And since I'd just sent that text message, I figured I'd just chance it. Maybe my contact would see me scanning for people and realize that I was the correct light blue shirted work person.

Nope. I saw a guy I didn't recognize look around a little bit, walk up to the impostor light blue shirt, and ask, "Sam?" I couldn't help but laugh at that point. It was just my luck, the sequence of events led to a case of mistaken identity with the light blue shirts.

We quickly got it sorted out and got down to our business, but it was an amusing way to kick things off that day. Funnily enough, I don't think I saw too many other light blue shirts the rest of the day (I did, however, see white shirts and blazers). You know what they say: timing is everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...