Skip to main content

What's In a Name?

As the Mild Fiancée will tell you, I'm the kind of person who reads labels and follows instructions. She's more likely to go off script when it comes to recipes, but I do as I'm told. I don't know if there's an ironclad defense for this, but it's served me well enough over the years. Well, as it turns out, reading labels can lead to hilarity.

First, let's start with the infamous teaspoon incident. It has become lore in the Mild Fiancée and I's relationship, and I laugh about it every single time. The background for this particular story was that I was sick. I had a pretty nasty cold going, complete with the runny nose and sinus issues that plague me from time to time. The Mild Fiancée had some medicine in the cupboard, so she gave me some in the hopes that it'd help calm my symptoms. And I swear to you, I felt better within minutes. That stuff was magical.

I was impressed by this magical elixir, to say the least. I immediately went about trying to learn everything I could about it, so I could keep some of it on hand myself. To begin with, this elixir was actually something called Bronchial Wellness. I scoured the label to figure out what the active ingredient was, so that I would know what to look for in the future. One small, tiny detail, however, jumped out at me: the recommended dosage was a teaspoon for an adult.

I'm fairly bad at estimating things, but I was fairly sure that the Mild Fiancée had given me more than a teaspoon of the stuff. That led to the following conversation (paraphrased, since it happened a while back):

Me: "Hey, [Mild Fiancée], how much of this Bronchial Wellness did you give me?"
Mild Fiancée: "A tablespoon. Why?"
Me: "Um, the recommended dosage is a teaspoon."
Mild Fiancée: "Meh, they're about the same."
Me: "About the same? A tablespoon is three times as large."
Mild Fiancée: "What? No."
Me: "It is. You gave me triple the dosage."
(after some Googling proves that I wasn't making up that number)
Mild Fiancée: "Well, you feel better. And it's natural stuff anyway."

No wonder I felt better so quickly. I took my entire day's portion in a single shot. Incidentally, that incident is also known as the Triple The Dosage episode. Also, both the Mild Fiancée and I know exactly how many teaspoons are in a tablespoon off the top of our heads.

However, my favorite instance of amusing labels can be summed up with two pictures. These are the vitamins that the Mild Fiancée takes:

With a name like that, you'd figure the directions should be pretty straight forward. The brand is called "One A Day." Maybe you should, you know, take one a day.

Well, here are the directions on the back of the container:

Notice the line at the top. If you can't quite make it out, it specifically says that adults should take two gummies daily. The serving size for their product is also 2 gummies. It's not a typo. So, to be clear, you're supposed to take two of the "one a day" gummies per day.

Have I mentioned I like reading product labels? It can be surprisingly amusing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...