Skip to main content

Razor Thin

Lately, the Mild Wife and I have been trying to be better about budgeting. Luckily for us, there's no impending costs that forced this on us, nor are we struggling to make payments. We just want to save up for big costs faster. Since it's not likely that we're going to win the lottery any time soon (it's particularly hard when you don't purchase tickets), we figured we're try to be more efficient about the money that we already make. Basically, try to put money more towards the savings categories than the spending ones.

It's worth noting that we're not really doing anything fancy in order to try to shift our habits. We didn't subscribe to new alerts on every credit card and bank account, we didn't hire a financial advisor, nor did we invent a new algorithm for how to put money away. We just started by tracking what we spend.

Basically, we decided that we had categories, and we were allowed to spend a certain amount in each category. We have a spreadsheet, and we update it every few days. It's probably not nearly clever enough for wide-spread use, but that's the gist of what we do.

Now, it's only been a few weeks, but it's looking like we're going to hit the mark on most of our categories (sadly, I am the one guilty for the categories where we're going to go over). As best as I can tell, it seems to be working. As you can imagine, we're both pretty happy about that.

Of course, keeping track of the numbers on the spreadsheet means that we both have a pretty good feel for how much leeway we have. Two weeks ago, we had something like $6 left in one of those categories. Let's just call it Category X to simplify my descriptions from here on out ("the unnamed category where we still had some cushion" doesn't quite roll off the tongue). So, I figured we weren't going to spend any more money in Category X. You can't purchase too many things at that price.

Actually, I should amend that. *I* can't buy too many things at that price. Apparently, the Mild Wife is a genius at this, and she found something for $5.84 in that category. It is no accident that she spent exactly as much as we could to stay under the threshold we'd set. I remember entering some other data into our spreadsheet, and noticing that we were all of 16 cents under the limit. I looked over, and she grinned. Yup, totally intentional.

We're going to keep at this whole budgeting thing, but I'm really curious to see how this plays out. I have a feeling this is not the last time that we see the actual expenditure come that close to the limit in that category.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

An Excursion: Getting Home

So, in the ongoing saga that I have been writing about the last few weeks, a perfect storm of random occurrences led me to taking a trip to the office. Once there, I went about my day, but leaving led me to wander through a mine field of geese and goose droppings . Incidentally, I also happened to mention this to my coworkers, and one of them introduced me to the nickname that Canadian geese sometimes go by: the " cobra chicken ." All in all, that one day led to much hilarity. Still, at this point in our tale, I wasn't home yet. The Mild Wife was out and about that day, so we had agreed to carpool. I was going to hop on the bus, and she would pick me up from a BART station. We've actually done this a bunch, and it had become my go-to means of transportation before the pandemic started. It saved me from having to deal with rush hour traffic, so I was actually a big fan of this process. I expected far less traffic on this day, but even so, it was a sound plan so that...