Skip to main content

Going in Circles

So, there is a common idiom in English about going around in circles. It means roughly that you're not really accomplishing anything because you end up at the same spot you started (that's what happens when you traverse a circle). It's a simple enough notion, and the saying rarely needs explaining. It just sort of makes sense.

Well, let me tell you, I have reason to disagree.

In my case, I don't mean the sort of hypothetical running around in circles, I mean the literal kind. I have literally gone around in circles and found value in the exercise. It's also worth noting that the act wasn't a way of getting exercise, either. No one would dispute that running laps around a track has its own value (even if you're the type who finds that kind of exercise boring, you can understand the logic behind it). However, in my case, it wasn't a way to get exercise. I have different, more amusing, reasons.

In the first case, I was sitting around at home, and I started to feel a bit antsy. I don't quite know what came over me, but I just felt the need to move around or burn off some energy. I actually did a few push ups first, but I still wanted to just move around. So, I got up and started pacing a bit. Now, me walking back and forth around the house is nothing new. In those cases, though, it was more to multitask while I was otherwise occupied. In this case, the pacing was the primary activity.

As it turned out, it did the trick. I started to get into a bit of a rhythm, and I just ... kept walking. Now, the apartment is only so big, so it's impossible for me to walk very far in a straight line. At some point, you run out of real estate. So, I turned around and walked back. By this point, tracing actual, literal circles through the apartment seemed like a good idea. I didn't track exactly how long I did this, but it was long enough for me to laugh at myself. I'm positive I walked at least a couple of thousand steps that way.

The second, and more amusing, case of this involved a baby. I was at my parents' place during the day, so I got to see some of the babies. There were a couple of them there that I hadn't seen very much of before, so I was playing with them a bit to get them to feel comfortable around me. One particular baby wasn't actually mobile, so I couldn't exactly play tag with him. He did, however, keep an eye on me as we were playing. So, I started to move around laterally to get him to follow along with his eyes.

Once I saw he was doing that, a light bulb went on: what if I moved around him? One way to find out, right? So, I started going in circles around him. Sure enough, he realized what was happening, and he kept snapping his head in the other direction once I got far enough behind him that his peripheral vision couldn't keep up. Again, I was literally running around in circles. And both the baby and I were laughing about the whole thing. Eventually he got tired of the game, but I still count that as a victory. Running in circles for the win.

I don't exactly cherish accomplishing nothing, but I think I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the dictionary. Going around in circles can be quite fruitful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...