Skip to main content

A New Strain

I like pizza. It is one of the items that I can happily eat over and over again, with nary a complaint (burritos are the other item in this category). On some level, it's a simple recipe: bread, sauce, cheese, and toppings. The toppings, it should be noted, don't have to be anything fancy. Sure, some restaurants try to differentiate themselves by using nicer ovens or high-end ingredients. But at its core, you really just need some dough and a few toppings. It's fun in its simplicity.

Personally, the reason I like it so much is that it's a hearty food. Let's not forget that the base of this whole thing is basically a really flat bread. That's the sort of food that's meant to provide sustenance. Put another way, I've never seen someone go on a diet and insist that they should eat pizza to get their nutrition for the day (I have seen a salad-heavy rich people diet, though). You just wouldn't describe pizza as a dainty item.

Fortunately for me, the Mild Wife shares this love of pizza; she calls them tasty open-faced sandwiches. If you think about it, it makes sense. You're basically taking the ingredients that you might've put in a sandwich (cheese, meat, sauce), and laying them on a flat piece of dough/bread. Also, let's not forget that she made and packed some pizza as our on-flight snack.

Now, for all that we like trying different foods and sampling new restaurants, we will both happily have Costco pizza for a meal. No one would mistake their food court pizza as gourmet, but we just flat out like it. It has a good mix of toppings, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. All in all, I think we probably have it once a month on average, though there have definitely been some months where we have purchased said pizza more than once.

My favorite reaction to pizza, however, came recently. I was heading over to a friend's place, and he'd bought Costco's take and bake pizza. Neither the Mild Wife nor I have ever had the take and bake variety before, so we were somewhat intrigued by this. Had we been missing out on a different, tastier variety of Costco pizza this whole time? Was it a better buy to get the take and bake kind rather than the food court kind? We were abuzz with questions.

The Mild Wife, however, had specific instructions: take notes. She wanted to know where it came from, and whether or not we should switch our Costco pizza budget to a new variety. I made sure to eat my food more slowly that night, so as to get a very deliberate taste of the pizza.

In the end, I liked the pizza just fine, but I didn't recommend switching to the new version. Still, the fact that I took mental notes about a pizza made me chuckle as I was eating. It's a fun food, I tell you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...